PS3 / Denon AVR 1909 - Best way to hire my new JVC RX900
Oct 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Vinicius Lima

New Head-Fier
Hello, guys. It's a pleasure to be part of your community. I've been digging this forum for the last three days, and I think I'm ready to bring up some questions. 

I read a lot about the JVC RX900 and had a hard time finding them here in Brazil - but finally found it today. 

I'll use them with my PS3 mostly, and maybe I'll listen to some music too (not a big deal - only compressed mp3 files). I'm not the kind of guy who has extremelly good perception through my ears, and my parameters are a little bit weak - I mean that all I've been using since now was my Wireless PS3 headset (not even the "Elite" edition) - and for sure these are not the best pair of cans around here, and they're not better than the RX900, obviously.

So, to the questions!

1. Is it better to wire the RX 900 through the headphone jack (Denon 1909) or is it better to wire it directly to the PS3 with a RCA adapter? Where will I find better quality (or at least the less worse)?

2. I've been thinking about using the Denon headphone jacks mostly because I want to use the "Virtual Surround" from Denon. The point is that I read in this forum that a guy kind of liked the surround sound, but preferred the stereo mode, because the Virtual Surround used to "destroy" the quality of the music/games. I couldn't find the specs of the "Virtual Surround", but I really suspect that it will mess with the frequency response.

In other words, while you can use the full spectrum in stereo mode (i.e. 15 - 25khz), in this "Virtual Surround" you'll only be able to listen to 100/120 - 20khz. The question: does this really make a sensible difference so I should use ONLY the stereo mode? And if I choose to use exclusively the stereo mode, could I wire my headphones directly to the PS3 (RCA) or is it better to make the sound come from the Denon (headphone jack)? I't would be nice to be able to put the Denon back in it's box, because I already sold my 5.1 set (can't make any noise here in this apartment). The living room would be cleaner this way.

I know it's been a little bit confusing (and I'm sorry for that) but I'd appreciate any help. 

Thanks a lot!

Vinicius

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 4
Use an HDMI cable to connect the Sony PS3 to the Denon 1909, and also use an HDMI cable connect the Denon 1909 to your monitor/TV.
Plug headphones into Denon's headphone jack.
This connect should provide the best sound possible, with your current hardware.
Not sure if the Denon has "true" headphone surround sound, but HDMI is still the best connect, with your current hardware.
Make sure your PS3's audio setting are set for 8-channel (7.1) or 6-channel (5.1) HDMI output.

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks, Purple Angel.

What if I wouldn't use the "Virtual Surround" from Denon? Could I simply connect the headphones directly to the PS3 with the RCA or the headphone output from the Denon would still be better?

Oct 22, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 4
  Thanks, Purple Angel.

What if I wouldn't use the "Virtual Surround" from Denon? Could I simply connect the headphones directly to the PS3 with the RCA or the headphone output from the Denon would still be better?

Would still use the Denon's headphone jack
Audio quality outputing from Denon should be a fair bit better then headphones hooked straight from the PS3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back