PS3 + Blu-Ray + Desktop Portable = Uncompressed Sound!
Aug 7, 2008 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

drummerboy47

New Head-Fier
I'm very pleased to discover that I can listen to uncompressed stereo (2.0) sound using my PS3, a Blu-Ray with uncompressed/DTS-MA/TruHD audio, and a 2007 Desktop Portable amp.

I found this out when I brought my PS3 upstairs to my bedroom to watch a movie. (I just had my wisdom teeth out, and I wanted to stay in my nice, comfortable bed!) Of course, I don't have a 5.1 system in my room, and I wanted the best possible sound, so I decided to use my Desktop Portable as a preamp for the studio monitors I use in my room (which, by the way I'm not all that crazy about).

I used an optical cable, and set the PS3 to output only stereo formats. I put in the movie, and decided to see what would happen if I selected, in this case, DTS-MA. Well, it worked! I checked the throughput display just to be sure - it said DTS-HD MA, and the throughput was anywhere between 2.0 and 2.8Mbps! With that info, my original doubts were washed away.

I suppose I do still have a little doubt remaining. I have to check my facts again to see if an optical cable can really do that much throughput. I'm also going to search online to see if my PS3 really is trying to send uncompressed stereo through the optical cable. Any comments or responses are most welcome!!!
bigsmile_face.gif

I hesitated in posting this. I didn't think I could get uncompressed audio through anything but the HDMI output. I'll do some more checking, and hopefully I'll get some replies too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back