PS3 as transport and Hi res Audio! PS3 pro's needed
Sep 29, 2010 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Rune3400

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone

To make it short, this is my setup: PS3(slim)-> (optical)-> DacMagic-> Meier Corda HA-2 MK-II SE-> HD600

Now to the problem: As you may know, the ps3 is capable of playing both sacd and blu ray. I am very intrestedt in these hi res formats and so i want to try them out.

But! i have heard that the optical cable wont send these formats.

To make it clear: I want good stereo sound from my ps3 to my dacmagic and to play sacd/bluray cd if possible.

Can i get the benefits from hi res audio?

Which settings do i use?

and one more question - when i set the settings to 176khz, there is no sound on cd's! but everything else seems to work.

Thanks

Regards
Rune

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #2 of 12
PS3 slim cannot play SACD. Only old PS3 60gb, 20gb, 80gb could play SACD. Beware of PS3's YLOD of death. It just happen to mine last night. I use it mainly as a blu-ray player/streamer so I will most likely get a Oppo-93 instead of getting another one or getting it repair. 

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #4 of 12
optical is capable of up to 1.5mbps, that's plenty of resolution. you won't need 5.1 or 7.1 for headphones anyway, just stereo, so 1.5mbps is plenty.

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #5 of 12

[size=medium]
Quote:
Now to the problem: As you may know, the ps3 is capable of playing both sacd and blu ray. I am very intrestedt in these hi res formats and so i want to try them out.

[/size]

If you're referring to Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, the high resolution audio formats supported on Blu-ray discs, then you are correct. They can only be output over HDMI from the PS3.

Sep 30, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:

[size=medium]
 ​
[/size]

If you're referring to Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, the high resolution audio formats supported on Blu-ray discs, then you are correct. They can only be output over HDMI from the PS3.

Then what do i do? Will get any benefits from blu ray compared to cds?

Sep 30, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #8 of 12
Stereo is "lossless"so you are not loosing much if anything. Unless the disc in question has a better multi channel then stereo track. Just about never the case though. There is those phono to RCA cables but then it´s not optimum to go through the receiver and then your headphone amp... Your best bet is still stereo. That is what I use at all time and I don´t feel handicapped compared to using lossless 5.1 audio. More then the obvious soundstaging advantage speakers has of course. The big benefit with bluray is for speaker not headphone listening. I wouldn´t loose any sleep about not getting downmixed 7.1 audio. If you must have that there is dedicated blurayplayers with reported good downmixing to RCA.

Oct 3, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #9 of 12
i recently bought a ps3 and have tried the opitcal out to a DAC i have and out to some speakers. it's worked fine, but now the optical cable is stuck in my PS3. I'm afraid if I pull any harder it would break the port or something. Has this happened to anyone else here?

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #10 of 12
That sounds strange. I have never experienced that, but try google.

Optical cables should be easy to pull out, there is nothing that holds them in (like with lan cables)

Oct 7, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #12 of 12
For those who wihs to output 24/192 from PS3, you need a HDMI switcher unit like the Porta or Monoprice equivalent.
See http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82217.0

By connecting HDMI out from PS3 to the Porta and using the coax or toslink out from the Porta to my Esoteric SA-50 DAC, I am able to get 24/192.

FYI, my PS3 does not have sacd and I use my Esoteric for that instead.

Hope that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back