PS3 as audiohile/videophile solution?
May 16, 2006 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

blue4n3

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone think that the PS3 will be a viable audio/videophile solution for Blu-Ray based entertainment? I mean, if I use HDMI, then the PS3 is used as a transport only, and thus it will be up to my VDAC and DAC to do all the bit-to-bit conversion right? I like the idea of a convergence device that can be used via HDMI (or DVI for video and Optical for audio) to drive a stellar home system. Am I right, or is there something that will keep a videogame system from being the ultimate HD transport? Is there something that makes the standalone Blu-Ray (and/or HD-DVD) better for their respective operations.

I know a similar argument works for stand alone CD players Vs. DVD players so thought it may work for this too. I am in the camp that if you optical/coaxial it out to a DAC...then the source is merely a transport, regardles if you spent 10 bucks or a million.

please let me know, becuase I am moving out soon, and need to start planning my system in good old head-fi-obsessive-compulsive-spirit.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 16, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #3 of 13
Am I correct about my asumption of transport and DAC synergy? I am thinking about buying a cheap DVD player that can do DVD-A, and am hooking it up to an external DAC. It is for 2.0 stereo only. Any difference between POS and super duper fancy DVD players when using an external DAC?

I want the above question to reflect the PS3 as media center question in that I want to see if I am right about this concept.

its late...so if I dont make sense.....
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 16, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 13
You can't get DVD-A playback using a digital output due to the DRM that is used. And the PS3 will not support DVD-Audio because it's the rival format to SACD, which is Sony's own format for hi-rez audio.

May 16, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by blue4n3
Am I correct about my asumption of transport and DAC synergy?

Not exactly.

Digital outputs from CD player gives 0s and 1s that it reads straight from CD. The only difference betwen players is jitter which might make a difference.

Digital outputs from DVD players gives 0s and 1s AFTER the content of the DVD was decoded by the MPEG chipset in that DVD player. The performance of the MPEG chipset is the main difference between DVD players, plus jitter.

May 16, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by blue4n3
Am I correct about my asumption of transport and DAC synergy? I am thinking about buying a cheap DVD player that can do DVD-A, and am hooking it up to an external DAC. It is for 2.0 stereo only. Any difference between POS and super duper fancy DVD players when using an external DAC?

I want the above question to reflect the PS3 as media center question in that I want to see if I am right about this concept.

its late...so if I dont make sense.....
very_evil_smiley.gif

There's usually a big difference between cheap transports and expensive ones. However since the majority of these are clock related there's some mods out there to make them almost perfect. Things like Tentlabs XO-3 crystal and reclocking solution. You can send units to your reseller and have them modded. I spent $250AU for the Pioneer DV676 (DV575 for US customers), and $230AU on the clock upgrade and this thing sounds very good as a transport, not surprising since the player itself is unable to generate jitter with the part in place.

May 17, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #9 of 13
cool thanks. What about the DVD portion of dualdiscs? are the audio parts of those better than the cd part? curious becuase that is what allot of my DVD audio is composed of. I know it is not the same as DVD-A. Also, what players are recomended (DVD) that have good SQ if solely using the digital out to an external DAC?

May 21, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Even if it was the best audiophile sound, the PS3 itself is going to have some loud fans in it for sure.

It's already confirmed that it will be even more quite than the original PS2 and a hell of alot quieter than a xbox 360.PS3 was designed with low power consumption in mind and we even see the power supply being internal.

May 22, 2006 at 7:27 AM Post #12 of 13
If you avoid scaling/deinterlacing in the console (ie, use it as a transport), there is a very good chance the PS3 will make a perfectly fine Blu-ray/DVD player.

I'm not sure how good it'll be from an audio perspective, however. It'll probably just perform like an average CD player does via SPDIF.

May 22, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
If you avoid scaling/deinterlacing in the console (ie, use it as a transport), there is a very good chance the PS3 will make a perfectly fine Blu-ray/DVD player.

I'm not sure how good it'll be from an audio perspective, however. It'll probably just perform like an average CD player does via SPDIF.

I would think since Blu-Ray has some crazy HD Audio format, that it could act as a hardcore audio trasport as well for 5.1 audio. HDMI maybe, since it is all digital in transmision we will even get to save money on expensive analog IC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back