PS3 and older Arcam AVR200 receiver question...
Jun 6, 2007 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jumping jupiters

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys

I have searched hi and low for online help and I'm turning here. I just got the PS3 a week ago and I am having trouble getting the optical connection to my Arcam AVR200 to work.

My basic setup is HDMI cable from PS3 direct to HDTV set. Picture and sound work like a charm.

The Arcam does not accept HDMI so I plugged in the Optical. I have set the PS3 to Optical Audio and checked all the 5.1 settings, but no sound...not even 2 channel sound. This is regardless of format...ie not specific to games or movies. My fear is that the receiver is too old, but I am not aware of optical connections having changed over the years. This is also the first time I have tried an optical (Toslink) cable so perhaps I am unaware. Is there a setting in the Arcam setup? I do believe these sort of things are usually automatic.

Please Help

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #2 of 3
I don't know if the PS3 has this setting or not, but on my Denon receiver if you connect something with HDMI it defaults to transmitting both audio and video over the HDMI cable. You have to tell it to separate the signals if you want to route it some other way. I think that's what's happening here, the PS3 may only output audio and video over HDMI. Check the settings and see if there is anything related to HDMI and audio, I'd be willing to bet if you used composite and toslink it would work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back