PS3 1.80 Firmware Update
Jun 1, 2007 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

ex0du5

500+ Head-Fier
On the 24th, Sony released a new PS3 firmware update.

PS1/PS2/DVD upscale to 480p/720p/1080i/1080p !
Blu-Ray downscale to 720p !
1080p/24fps Blu-Ray playback !

Not to mention other updates, such as streaming video from the PC. I can't wait to get my PS3!
biggrin.gif

Oh and turns out the PS3 beats the $200 Oppo DVD players (971/981) in terms of DVD picture quality
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ex0du5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to mention other updates, such as streaming video from the PC.

Don't get too excited if you want to stream xvid or divx.

Jun 1, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 26
Of course I realise they won't have DivX on there due to licensing fees. A linux fix will undoubtedly allow me to do it if I need to. But at the moment, I don't really have any DivX video I'd want to stream. Most DivX out there are illegal movies, and I have a plenty big DVD collection so I could care less about that.

Jun 1, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't get too excited if you want to stream xvid or divx.

You'll need to buy something like Nero 7. Nero Mediahome will then transcode xvid/divx to the PS3 as well as other formats that don't work natively

Jun 1, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #6 of 26
I think they released the PS3 far too early. The firmware was terrible, and there are still not many good games out yet.

Firmware 1.80 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma are going to mark the turnaround for Sony though. The PS3 is turning out to be an amazing machine.

Also, I believe the upconvertion (and maybe even the video processing) is done using the Cell. That means it can still be improved upon in further firmware releases.

I believe the PS3 scored 83/130 on the MQV Test DVD or whatever it's called. The Oppo scored 75/130. Of course, tests don't mean anything, and only seeing it in person will I know what it looks like. Some people claim it to be better than a Denon 2910
redface.gif
. Pretty damn good value out of a PS3
biggrin.gif

Once I get it within a few weeks, I'll give you guys a comparison between the PS3 and the Denon 3910CI (130/130 MQV DVD). Let's see how this beast stands up to the best video processing DVD player on the market
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #8 of 26
Yeah, this was a big step forward. The firmware also fixed the problem of having to set BluRay movies to 1080i to play them back on 720P HDTVs. This will probably get them a lot more sales.

The firmware also makes it possible for PSP owners to interact with the PS3 via any internet connection with "remote play". I tested this out from a local wireless hotspot and was able to play a movie by streaming it from my PC (Nerohome) to my PS3 to my PSP. This is pretty awesome. I also like the ability to access the photo slideshows that are on the PS3 with the PSP....not to mention that you can use the PS3 to PSP as a media server for music, too!

I am still waiting for more great games, but the PS3 has become one great machine already.

The SACD playbeack has been compared to the Denon player in Home Theater Mag or Sound & Vision ( can't remember which one). It compared favorably to the Denon.

Jun 1, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ex0du5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which Denon player? That's pretty impressive.

It was one of the firewire/link Denon players. I will see if I can dig up the article this weekend.

The trick is that you have to have a receiver that has an HDMI input to get surround sound. The writer of the article had such a machine. I am waiting for a Denon receiver with HDMI 1.3, so I can only get two channel sound from SACDs right now, so I have no way of comparing it.

Jun 5, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #14 of 26
I plan on using it for games yeah. Ninja Gaiden if I get a PS3 this summer.

Other than that, there are alot of games being released this fall. MGS4, R&C, White Knight Story, DMC4, Lair, Haze, etc.

Jun 5, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #15 of 26
My brother in law got one and I wasn't too impressed with the gaming aspect of it. He had a free indy racing game they gave him and he bought Tony Hawk's Project 8, which I have for xbox 360. The 360 version is looks and plays much better, and the racing game was blah. I also hated the PS3 controller, I honestly felt like I was going to snap it...felt really lightweight and cheap.

There are a few games that I think will be nice, but I'm really only interested in one for the BD playback. I have a 50" Sony a2000 and it's begging for HD movies. I haven't really picked a side yet for the format war and I know they 360 add on is a good deal but I think I would rather have a PS3 because it may turn out to be a nice toy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back