PS2 on computer monitor?
Aug 25, 2006 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Predator88

100+ Head-Fier
Well I've moved into my dorm. It isn't a terribly large place and we have a very small 13 inch tv. But I do feel the need to play some madden on my ps2 so I was wondering if there is a good solution to playing it on my computer monitor. Is there a video input device that would be able to play the game and have it look pretty good? I really have no clue about this stuff.

Aug 25, 2006 at 7:25 AM Post #2 of 13
You basically just need a TV tuner card. Hauppauge makes pretty good ones...the baseline $50 model will suffice. It'll most likely have S-video input, which as far as I'm concerned is a must for the PS2, it sharpens up the image quite a bit. Get an S-video output cable for the PS2, hook it up to the TV tuner card, run the TV tuner card's output to your soundcard's input, and have fun. It's what I've been doing with my PS2 for years now. You can also hook up cable TV to your computer while you're at it through the coax input.

Aug 25, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
The best video quality you can get these days is from this device:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...n-70-1ic5.html

I'm very happy with mine.

It better give you the best video quality for that price.
tongue.gif

Aug 25, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
It better give you the best video quality for that price.
tongue.gif

tongue.gif

Seriously, though... I remember I did quite a lot of research and tried several solutions before settle down with this one. It really is good.

Aug 27, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 13
I wondered the same thing a while back. I ended up getting a 8" LCD screen by Joytech that attaches to the PS2. It's pretty cool and makes for a highly portable system.

Aug 27, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
The best video quality you can get these days is from this device:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...n-70-1ic5.html

I'm very happy with mine.

Yup, the XRGB is simply the best out there. Beautiful video quality and no lag at all. It's expensive so you might want to consider finding one used.

Aug 27, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 13
do you have room for another graphics card or is an ati's fastest all in wonder an upgrade for ya? I would pick up one of those.

Aug 27, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #11 of 13
My monitor has S-Video and composite inputs, so I can just plug the PS2 directly into it that way (though you still need a way to get sound - I use my Logitech computer speakers, which have a few extra inputs). It looks pretty grainy from normal computer-use distance, due to the difference in resolution, but sitting back several feet looks ok.

If you just want to make it work, I guess I'd recommend a TV tuner card. You can get a good Hauppauge one for $100 and it'll also let you watch TV and do TiVO-like things in addition to using the PS2. You may have to tweak the software though - normally the tuner will play back out of a 1-2 second buffer so you can pause, live is never really live. Fine for TV, lousy for games, but you can turn that off, at least with the model I have.

Aug 28, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #12 of 13
I have the RTV veg lite, which converts those regular composite signals to vga. Its ok I guess, but it definitely looks worse than a pc game cause the resolution of ps2 games is much worse than pc games.

Anyone every hook up a xbox 360 to their pc monitor? How is it? I assume it must look pretty good since the resolution is pretty high.

Aug 28, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #13 of 13
DO NOT GET A VIDEO CARD. Trust me on this one. I have one and regardless of the computer you hook it up to or the card you use, becuase it uses the processor to process and compute the image you are going to get a noticable delay that will affect your games. It made Devil May Cry completely unplayabe. Go with a external card with a monitor pass through so you can switch between your computer screen or your PS2 screen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back