PS2 Game Emulators?
Sep 29, 2002 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
Are there any PS2 game emulators available for the true operating system, the Mac?

There was a quote a while back that in the future that Windows would run fastest on a Mac. Weird Huh????

Sep 29, 2002 at 5:01 AM Post #2 of 8
I haven't heard of any, i would imagine it would be very difficult to pull it off. Check out this site: www.zophar.net

Tons of emulators and other cool stuff. I would imagine it would be hell to emulate several high powered processors that are the guts of the next-gen consoles (probably need like a Pentium 5 5000 Mhz to emulator a 300Mhz game console cpu..).

Sep 29, 2002 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 8
they exist, but are VERRY alpha and you better have a beast of a system (most top of the line comps have a hard time with n64 and ps1 emus). Doubt you'd find anything about ps2 emulators on zophar.

I mean, there are people who run win2k/linux on their ps2s and xboxes.

Sep 29, 2002 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 8
Yeah, I remember there being a VERY alpha version being developed. I'd imagine it'll be another 2 years or so before computers can emulate the games properly, and the emus are at a good state. . .

Sep 30, 2002 at 8:05 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Yeah, I remember there being a VERY alpha version being developed. I'd imagine it'll be another 2 years or so before computers can emulate the games properly, and the emus are at a good state. . .

Yes but it's got to the point where it is MUCH cheaper not to go the emu route. Emulation is for jap imports and out of print snes and old arcade games. XBOX and PS2 games are either pc ports, ported to pc, or developed with parallel pc versions. Emulation of them is not only nearly impossible, it's frickin pointless!

Sep 30, 2002 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 8
i agree that emulation of a console like that is pretty pointless, especially when considering how nice the ps2 controller is. it's only $200 now and it seems quite worth it to me.

of course, since you're dealing with "the true operating system"
rolleyes.gif
by apple, i'm sure you don't have $200 left after buying all that overpriced hardware..

Oct 11, 2002 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 8
I remember someone was making a mac ps2 emulator a while ago. Last I heard the development was going good and the company was talking to Sony as to not have legal problems... I havent heard anything about it in a while. Chances are the emulation was successful and Sony got scared and paid the people to stop working on it, or bought the company and killed the project, or some typical crap. I was really looking foreward to it too as I plan on traveling around alot and it would be hot to play ps2 games off the laptop. Like during the downtime at a concert, multiplayer timecrisis or gt3 in the tent with some friends. Fun fun. I mean I could get that fold out intec ps2 screen but I would need a power source and its only 5" and the ps2 is kinda bulky so that sucks. The only truly portable options would be a ps1 emulator or a gamecube with the intec screen and battery (gcn isnt as thirsty as ps2) which I may have to invest in.

Quote:

Originally posted by penvzila
you better have a beast of a system (most top of the line comps have a hard time with n64 and ps1 emus).

Umm, back in the day I had a p.o.s. 333mhz iMac with a p.o.s. graphics card for a month or so and it ran the ps1 emulator perfectly. Thats hardly top of the line. Maybe PCs have more trouble? I dunno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back