ps2 ->dac-> headphone, possible?
May 11, 2009 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

miloxo

100+ Head-Fier
Is it possible to use a ps2 with a DAC?
Insert a music CD, and let is play via the usb poort to a DAC and then to my headphones?

Sorry if this is a silly question
icon10.gif

May 11, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 6
Not sure if the PS2 (PlayStation 2 i assume) will support USB Audio interface, that would depend on if the PS2 has the drivers to support such a device.

HOWEVER, the PS2 does have SPDIF output and you could feed that to a DAC. Note though that unless the DAC has a builtin amp you should not drive headphones from it. I know many commerical DACs are actually DAC/AMP combos.

May 12, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 6
I really doubt you can use its USB interface to feed an external DAC.
But as mentioned the PS2 has optical S/PDIF out, which you can use to feed a DAC aand from it again into a headphone amplifier.

May 12, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 6
His point is that the PS2 has digital out via an SPDIF port. (optical if I remember)

I would say yes, there will be digital out (you might have to specify this somewhere in a set up menu) to a DAC/AMP with appropriate SPDIF in.

You will not get bit perfect however, except from DVD audio. The SPDIF rate will be the 48 used by DVD multitrack sound.

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 6
Yeeewh! finally gonna put my old ps2 to use.  Ill be conecting it to a Fiio e17 via toslink.  

Question:
When I insert a cd into the ps2 will it play automaticaly or will I need to have it hooked up to a screne aswell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back