PS2 and broken DVDROM
Jan 9, 2007 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Headphoneus Supremus
I never got an Xbox 'cuz the guy I was gonna buy it from decided not to sell and all the used Xbox store places are out. So PS2 shopping FTW!

I don't wannt buy a Xbox on eBay 'cuz I don't want the shipping costs from that huge console plus they have a tendency to fail alot (PS2's do too but the slim ones seem to be more durable)

I know it's possible to softmod a ps2 and add a hard drive so what I want to do is this... I noticed that slim PS2's without working dvdrom's go for about 25-30 dollars shipped usually. Also 80gb hdd's are like $30 now. So is it possible to take out the slim ps2's dvd completely and just add a hdd (where the ps2 dvd would normally go?? I'd want to do this instead of an external solution because I prefer an integrated look and feel. So is it possible or am I completely nuts?

*Also I'm not stealing anything, I know its possible to rip your own PS2 games to hd and thats what I'm going to do.

Thanks for the replies!

Jan 9, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 6
Ripping the games without the ps2 drive working could be a major hassle. Also, I doubt you could fit a hard drive into a slim ps2 the way you mentioned. The best would be to find an older ps2 with disc read errors. That can usually be fixed, and get the network adapter along with it so you can insert the hard drive as well. I would think that would be an easier, less work involved, method.

Jan 10, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 6
Wait... How would the PS2 DVD being broken affect game rip anyway? Because I know you can use your regular DVDROM in your computer. When I said I'd put in the HDD where the DVDROM is I didn't mean I'd hook it up with that same interface or anything but just take out the dvdrom and putting in a 2.5" laptop hdd in (if the regular 3.5" doesn't fit that is).

I'd get the regular version but...
a. I like the smallness of the slim
b. I like the integrated ethernet (no adapter needed...yay!)
c. I heard the slim is quieter and more reliable

so yeah... but if it really isn't possible then thick ps2 is the only bet then.

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 6
The reason I said the dvd drive thing, is because you can directly back them up with a cd you can buy for something like $10, with no computer involved.
I don't know how you planned on setting up the slim ps2 with a hard drive, but if you know what you're doing, then go for it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck!

Jan 10, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #6 of 6
Yeah. I figured that by the time I was done with all the mods and what not it would come out to about $140 best case scenario. That's only $110 off a Wii. So I guess I'm just gonna save up for that.

Funny. I went from getting a used ps2 to gamecube to xbox to ps2 and then now decided to get a Wii. Maybe I'll wait until summer when Wii's will be abundant and a used one is like $200 or less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back