PS1's coming. do I need to swap amps?
Sep 20, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 8
Your HR2 ought to do just fine. The question is what do you want out of your PS-1?

Best,

-Jason

Postscript: Hmm. Naim digital source. HR2. Should be a lot of fun with that PS-1.
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 8
The hr-2 has a warm sound signature .. it is likely that pairing it with ps-1 could also need a nice eq.
I have a very fine and bass capable source ( Wadia 301 ) and I use an eq. for my ps-1 in one system , and a vintage receiver with built-in eq in another , results are very good in both cases

BTW I'm trying to finance the budget to step on a Yoshino ear-hp4 ( new as I can't seem to find any used on the used market ) , which is vouched to be the very best match to drive the ps-1 near their full potential

Sep 20, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Your HR2 ought to do just fine. The question is what do you want out of your PS-1?
Postscript: Hmm. Naim digital source. HR2. Should be a lot of fun with that PS-1.
biggrin.gif

I want those Grado mids, and non bloated bass, and all the clean highs it can give me, or at least enough to not feel like something's missing. and I want it with Grado in your face/you're on stage slam. also want peace on earth and food for all the lil children. if it's got the presentation everyone says (excluding irondreamers nightmare bass experience) I'm going to be in love with them! and if along with that it delivers more refinement or anything else
than my beloved RS1's did I'm going to feel they are well worth the cost.

I'm hoping the hr2 will do as well with them as it does with rs1's, gs1000's,
e500's and cd3000's.

btw, I will also drive them with my power amp via spkr cables to an adcom gfs1 spkr switch box (which has an excellent headphone out and no dumb active anything to muck it up).

Sep 20, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
The hr-2 has a warm sound signature .. it is likely that pairing it with ps-1 could also need a nice eq.
I have a very fine and bass capable source ( Wadia 301 ) and I use an eq. for my ps-1 in one system , and a vintage receiver with built-in eq in another , results are very good in both cases

BTW I'm trying to finance the budget to step on a Yoshino ear-hp4 ( new as I can't seem to find any used on the used market ) , which is vouched to be the very best match to drive the ps-1 near their full potential

the hp4 is one of the amps I used to drive my old PS-1's and was using a MLevinson no39 as the the source and a rega modded TT as the secondary analog rig..

I also heard that the Tung-sol VT 229's and the RCA 229's are nice with this amp...Try Hirsch..he has a unique knowledge of this amp and tubes utilized
wink.gif

I used my Earmax modded for PS-1's too for them, and the tubes I have are awesome for RS/PS cans..

hope this helps
AF

Sep 20, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #7 of 8
HR2- that’s what markl uses with the R10’s.

“NAIM CD5 CD PLAYER W/ NAIM HICAP POWER SUPPLY.”

That’s a Great setup- I went up to the CD5x just to stay current but I then added the Hi-Cap = mo betta.

HP4- god I’ve gone through withdrawals since selling that one. Check with Zanth on that one- I sent him 20 pairs of 6SL7’s to listen too so I think he has the best handle on tube rolling the HP4- he’s using the PS-1’s with it.

I’ve used tube amps with all my Grados and prefer them. I’m currently using the Berning micro-ZOTL and think it’s an awesome combination with the PS-1’s.

Mitch

Sep 20, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 8
HP4....damn fine amp. For PS-1's... I find it a toss up between a well tube rolled HP4 or my trusty Melos. The Melos with the right tube set may provide the most control for the bass but the HP4 will provide the best mids. I prefered the HP4 and Melos over the Earmax Anniversary but that little amp was still a total killer.

I'm not going to lie, I think the HP4 is the best Grado amp for me. I've heard just about everything save for a single SP amp or an Eddie Current/Moth amp. Given that early EC/Moth amps were not low Z friendly I never really considered them but the new Zana 2 may be an extraordinary deal. Many love SP amps too.

One total underdog is the Maple Tree Audio Ear Purist HD. I love that amp and it sounds spectacular. I will at some point finish my review of that unit. Well priced and a sound that works well with Grado.

As for the HP4, if the cost is not intimidating (they are hard to come by used, though Yikes was selling one a while ago, check with him) then I would really go with this amp. It's built at least on par with the best if not considered the best out there, the tubes are not heinously pricey and they are easy to come by. Braillediver was very generous in lending me the tubes and I have compiled a list of my favs. I'm a Sylvannia or Tung Sol fan (though not heard any RCA's) with this unti, my choice right now is a quad of 1944 gold pin Sylvannias, though Tung Sols work better for PS-1's.

GL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back