PS Audio Ultimate Outlet - A Summary of Reviewer observations
Nov 29, 2004 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mikeg

Headphoneus Supremus
I read several reviews of the PS Audio Ultimate Outlet while making a decision to buy one. What follows is a listing of benefits that I found in, and extracted from these reviews. In my own brief tests, I confirmed some of these reviewers' observations, and since I don't plan to do further testing, I'll just accept their other observations. I'm providing this list for the benefit of others, and also as a list of useful descriptors regarding our audiophile hobby. My summary of the reviewers' observations is as follows:

Benefits From Using the Ultimate Outlet

Increased sense of reverberation, and seemingly longer decay.

Improved definition and separation between instruments.

Piano sounds are richer and less veiled.

Voices are more open and natural sounding, and it's easy to hear them trail off on
different vocal notes.

Music sounded sweeter, and had better depth.

One can almost feel the texture of the sound, and dynamics are better.

Vocals sounded livelier, the soundstage seemed taller, and instruments had more room to
breathe and spread out.

There is a lowering of the noise floor.

The best improvement is heard in the background vocals. The detail is increased, and
there is more air around all the vocals and instruments.

There is the effect of cleaning up the midrange and top end just a bit. Excessively
piercing, and too-hot sounds are reduced just a bit, and made more listenable.

There is a change in the tonal balance of a system; i.e., the sound becomes considerably
brighter. There is a considerable decrease in grain, with a corresponding increase in
coherence.

The clear reduction in grain allows one to hear much more clearly what each musician is
doing, and the increased leading edge clarity gives each note its correct placement within
the piece.

There is more clarity in the sound, the soundstage is a bit deeper, and the instruments are
placed tighter in the sound field. Also, the shape and size of the instruments are more
defined.

Upper frequencies are clearer; the sound is not so edgy in some recordings that used to
sound a bit edgy. The whole soundstage is more relaxed. Additional details are apparent
in the upper frequencies, but they are just there, without making a statement. The sound
is also more polite, showing upper frequency details without underlining them every time.
The lower region sound deeper, but more controlled.

The space increases and voices are mellower and more distinct

The bass is tight and full.

There is a definite improvement in vocals and soundstage.

Snare drums sound better, especially when there was a sharp hit to it. With piano, the
hard attacks of the high tones are more natural and clear. The shape of a singer is in
many cases more defined, and the singer is placed more in the spot, without moving a bit
in the sound field. The same observation apply to instrument placement.

Everything sounds quieter, clearer, and more transparent.

When paying attention to truth of timbre, soundstage width, micordynamics, bass
extension, clarity of highs, transparency, and overall musicality, in every case the
listening experience deepened.

Results When Connecting Directly to Wall Outlets (i.e., w/o an Ultimate Outlet)

There are adverse effects to the sound of horns, i.e., they came across as less defined.

Voices are more sibilant, and soundstage width is smaller.

The soundstage seems to shrink. There is also a slight edginess to the sound - a rough
quality that detracts from the presentation.

Hiss is more noticeable on top of the music.

The sound is slightly harsher and more grainy.

Nov 29, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 6
I can't say that I agree with any of the above benefits in using the PS Audio outlets. In fact I find just a complete opposite of what is stated. I will never use another nickel coated outlet or other device in my system again.
I find that while the nickel is a great corrosion inhibitor the sonic signature of such devices whether they be outlets, plugs etc. impressed me as a significant loss of harmonics, speed, and dynamics. Having compared many many outlets (and yes you can ask which ones) including Marinco, Wattgate, PS Audio, Hubbell, Levitron, Acme.
I find that the best outlet is one offered on Audiogon by Albert Porter. A high grade cryogenically treated Hubbell.
In fact I modified two of my PS Audio power plants by putting in at least one Porter Port per machine. I no longer use the standard PS Audio outlets on the back.
This is of course, the preferences I have in my system.
Regards,
Michael

Nov 30, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 6
Definitely a case where YMMV. I found the PS Audio UO definitely lowered the noise floor in my system, and also reduced sibilance to some degree.

Nov 30, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 6
Wolffy, I hope you realize that the review is of PS Audio's Ultimate Outlet, a power conditioner, not just an outlet replacement.

My results have been very similar if not identical to mikeg's experience regarding PS Audio's UO, the high current version.

Nov 30, 2004 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 6
Please realize that the listing that I provide is a summary of several published reviews that I located vis-a-vis Google search. My personal observations, based on a little testing, agree with some of the listed reviewers' observations, but I've not tried to confirm the others. I've decided to just accept them, as a consequence of my concurrence with some of them. What I'm really after is just to stop all of this testing, and just use the system to enjoy music. I've had enough of "gearhead activities" for now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkclouds
Wolffy, I hope you realize that the review is of PS Audio's Ultimate Outlet, a power conditioner, not just an outlet replacement.

My results have been very similar if not identical to mikeg's experience regarding PS Audio's UO, the high current version.

Nov 30, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Thanks for pointing that out, guess I overlooked that and keyed in on the outlet part.
PS Audio makes some fine equipment. I happen to use both a PS600 and PS500 in my system.
My only complaint with their products is the outlets they use, and that is easily solved by changing them which is a snap to do.
In someone else's system they may sound dynomite but I can only relate to what I have experienced in mine.

PS: I don't like chickens at all. My mother told me never to eat anything that ate with it's pecker.
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back