PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3
Nov 7, 2020 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ThanatosVI

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone have any experience with the most affordable of PS Audios Power regenerators?
I'd be especially interested in comparisons to the Audioquest Niagara 1000/1200/3000 models.(which are powerfilters and no generators but in a similar price region depending on where you live)

https://www.psaudio.com/stellar-power-plant-3/

Nov 27, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 17
So mine arrived today.
Since my power cable is still in Transit, I could only Power the DAC with it and not the amp yet.
However changes in Sound are HUGE.

Differences between cables and dacs are often nuances, but this change is really Big.
I seriously wonder why those regenerators don't get more attention

Nov 29, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #3 of 17
Looks interesting. When i tried powerfilters they usually made the music sound more detailed but less engaging. Is the Powerplant an exception? Did you try any lower budget models? 2k for a power treatment is not a small amount.

Nov 29, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #4 of 17
Looks interesting. When i tried powerfilters they usually made the music sound more detailed but less engaging. Is the Powerplant an exception? Did you try any lower budget models? 2k for a power treatment is not a small amount.
I never heard any cheaper options. However this is already the cheapest power regenerator I've heard of, all cheaper options I know of are Filters.

The Loss of engagement could either originate from something that was filtered (in that case it should not occur with the regenerator)
Or simply be a psychoacoustic effect due to the increased clarity.

I will do more extensive listening before I judge it, if anything feels "missing"
However the sound difference is huge, even non audiophiles can immediately hear the difference, so in a high end chain, I don't think it's overpriced for the effect.

I also ordered some cables by now, I expect them to have way less overall impact tho.

Nov 29, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 17
I never heard any cheaper options. However this is already the cheapest power regenerator I've heard of, all cheaper options I know of are Filters.

The Loss of engagement could either originate from something that was filtered (in that case it should not occur with the regenerator)
Or simply be a psychoacoustic effect due to the increased clarity.

I will do more extensive listening before I judge it, if anything feels "missing"
However the sound difference is huge, even non audiophiles can immediately hear the difference, so in a high end chain, I don't think it's overpriced for the effect.

I also ordered some cables by now, I expect them to have way less overall impact tho.

Yeah those i heard were filters. Didn't know theres something else like a regenerator.

Dec 3, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #7 of 17
I want to wait for my power cables first.
As of now I don't have a cable long enough to connect my amplifier to it.

So for now I use my DAC and my Loki with the power regenerator, and my amp is still directly in the wall.

Differences are huge from the get go, but there are a few more variables. And I didn't A/B the system with and without yet - when I find the time to do it I will post updates.
Likely this will be after my cables arrive

General differences are:
- way blacker background
- much more clarity
- deeper bass extension

- some "body" missing

And that "missing" part is why I didn't want to post impressions without all the cables being here.
I had to change cables between devices (the "long" cable which was in the dac before is now in the regenerator) and the dac has a different shorter stock cable.

Furthermore I was lucky with a lot of "used devices" lately, so in the past 2 months my whole setup changed. I can't compare to a sound that I am used to.
My "reviewing plan" is to wait until all my cables arrive, for both, headphone and power.

Afterwards I will listen to the system with the regenerator and without. So this will be the only variable.

I also sold my Norne Skraug to finance a ToTL cable. I was used to it's sound for months, so that impression that something is missing, could also come from that.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 17
I want to wait for my power cables first.
As of now I don't have a cable long enough to connect my amplifier to it.

So for now I use my DAC and my Loki with the power regenerator, and my amp is still directly in the wall.

Differences are huge from the get go, but there are a few more variables. And I didn't A/B the system with and without yet - when I find the time to do it I will post updates.
Likely this will be after my cables arrive

General differences are:
- way blacker background
- much more clarity
- deeper bass extension

- some "body" missing

And that "missing" part is why I didn't want to post impressions without all the cables being here.
I had to change cables between devices (the "long" cable which was in the dac before is now in the regenerator) and the dac has a different shorter stock cable.

Furthermore I was lucky with a lot of "used devices" lately, so in the past 2 months my whole setup changed. I can't compare to a sound that I am used to.
My "reviewing plan" is to wait until all my cables arrive, for both, headphone and power.

Afterwards I will listen to the system with the regenerator and without. So this will be the only variable.

I also sold my Norne Skraug to finance a ToTL cable. I was used to it's sound for months, so that impression that something is missing, could also come from that.

Sounds good. Looking forward to the review!

Dec 3, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 17
So since there is now some interest in this, I did a few tweaks and found out where the "missing body" issue originated from.

I use a Schiit Loki to boost my Bass (I'm a basshead) and that one apparently doesn't play so nice with the power plant.

While it generally still worked, at some occassions it did not, leaving the impression something I was used to is lacking.

This could also be a RCA cable issue, since I need 1x 1m cable and 1x 3m cable. Either I use the Loki with the powerplant and the 3m cable to the amp
Or I use the Loki with the wall and the 1m cable to the amp

My gut feeling tells me that it's not the RCA but just how the Loki power adapter works with the power plant.

Jul 14, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 17
So, I just decided to purchase a power regenerator because I was noticing a difference in sound quality depending on time of day, from late in the evening compared to earlier in the day. I assume it's because less people are using electricity in the neighborhood the later it was. I just purchased a Stellar pp3 as well as a zenwave pl-11 power cable. I don't know if I should connect the pl-11 directly into a dac or to the pp3 to the wall.

Jul 30, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #11 of 17
So, I just decided to purchase a power regenerator because I was noticing a difference in sound quality depending on time of day, from late in the evening compared to earlier in the day. I assume it's because less people are using electricity in the neighborhood the later it was. I just purchased a Stellar pp3 as well as a zenwave pl-11 power cable. I don't know if I should connect the pl-11 directly into a dac or to the pp3 to the wall.
Welcome to the world of Regeneration. I've had various models of PSAudio regenerators in my setup for years. Amazing units. Never noticed any loss of dynamics. As for the powercord, don't waste your money on anything exotic. Proper guage, and tight fitting connectors is all you need. At most you would probably spend about $100-150. Thats what I spent building my own.

Jul 30, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #12 of 17
Welcome to the world of Regeneration. I've had various models of PSAudio regenerators in my setup for years. Amazing units. Never noticed any loss of dynamics. As for the powercord, don't waste your money on anything exotic. Proper guage, and tight fitting connectors is all you need. At most you would probably spend about $100-150. Thats what I spent building my own.
Even though Paul from ps audio uses Audioquest Dragons for his power plants? Are you sure you only need 150.00 power cords? What cords do you recommend that are already built.

Sep 6, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #13 of 17
Hi, I just got a PP3 as well and loving the results so far for my 2 channel set up. I'd like to get something for my headphone rig, but not sure I want to drop 2k on power when my amp didn't even cost near that much. Wondering if I can get close with the Niagara 1200, so has anyone compared PP3 with Niagara 1200. I'm running MacBook -> Bifrost 2 -> Lokius -> Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies -> Focal Clear.

Jul 7, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #14 of 17
My Power plant seemingly just died today, while all my devices were in Stand by.

I get some fault mode LED signs and contacted Support.
Fortunately PS Audio has 3 year warranty.

Let's see how they handle it.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #15 of 17
I've had mine including the expensive PS Audio power cable for a month now, it has blown the 1.6 AMP fuse at the rear just the other day. All in all I like it having tried the clean and the other setting over the last few weeks. I have also bought three aftermarket power leads to feed the Inpol Ear, Auralic Aries G1 and another to feed the MCRU Ultimate LPS which feeds the Qutest.
Bit of overkill maybe but when the fuse went I plugged everything back into the normal extension socket for the day, when a replacement fuse arrived a few days later I honestly think my music had a bit oomph when I connected the unit back up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back