PS Audio PerfectWave DAC! Mark me impressed.
Apr 9, 2009 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Jon L

For him, f/1.2 is a prime number
PerfectWave DAC : Additional Product Info | PS Audio

A network DAC that includes I2S, USB input (and other usuals) and then completely asynchronizes any input signal via their "Digital Lens" before sending to DAC chips. All through-hole components (no surface mounts) and discrete output stages.

If everything works and sounds as (hopefully) on paper, IMO this would be the DAC to beat. I would simply play all my Flac files off of NAS via PS Audio...

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by blubliss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like all the options for tweaking the sound with filters and SRC. Maybe we need to invite them to bring a unit to Can Jam?

Hmm. HMM..

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 23
ok..call me stupid..but where is the network input? no antenna and no RJ-45 input...am I missing something here?

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Perhaps the single most unique feature of the PWD is its ability to become a music server with its optional network Bridge.

Sounds like network access is only available with an optionally seperately purchased component. It probably hooks up via the expansion port.

Quote:

The heart of the PWD is a Wolfson WM8741 stereo differential DAC, one of the latest generations of high-end DACS in the world. The extraordinary low order modulator and multi-bit DAC architecture found in the WM8742 achieves low out-of-band noise and world-class linearity for outstanding sound quality.

I wonder if they upgraded the dac to the WM8742 and forgot to change the other statement? Seeing as how they're pin-compatible I'm guessing it's just a typo.

Apr 10, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #11 of 23
I2S over an HDMI plug?
frown.gif
I wish the industry would settle on a standard for I2S through separate components. Even though there are only a few DACs/CD Transports that use it, it'd be nice if you could use them with I2S components other than the company's matching one.

Nov 26, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #14 of 23
The DAC won't care what coded it is in, it gets decoded by the PC/Mac you connect to it.

That is for the USB input, DLNA I don't know.

Nov 27, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PerfectWave DAC : Additional Product Info | PS Audio

A network DAC that includes I2S, USB input (and other usuals) and then completely asynchronizes any input signal via their "Digital Lens" before sending to DAC chips.

The only digital signal the DAC currently reclocks through the "Digital Lens" is the one coming from the Perfect Wave Transport when connected via an I2S cable to the DAC. No other digital source signal is currently being reclocked by the DAC. PS Audio is designing additional add-on products (the "Bridge" and the "Lense") that will allow more digital signals to be reclocked, but those products have not been released yet and will cost additional $. (I think they have talked about a retail price of $500 for the "Bridge", which will allow the DAC to reclock signals from an external hard drive, and $2K or more for the "Lense", which will reclock all signals.)

What this means, in my experience, is that CDs played on the Transport sound incredible, while other digital sources sound just OK through the Perfect Wave DAC. So do not buy this DAC unless you also plan to buy the Transport, the "Bridge", or the "Lense".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back