PS Audio GCHA headphone amplifier it is worth 1000 $ soundwise ?
Jan 30, 2006 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

boodi

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi.

I'd like to know from GCHA owners and users how this amp stands against more blasoned hi end SS amps , Gilmore Reference for example .

I'd also like to know if it is on the lean/gentle side of the bass as I am supposing it is , or if it offers solid bass response and performance .

Thanks in advance for attention and for answering .

Jan 30, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 41
The GCHA is a very neutral amp, very good with ATH cans IME. The volume regulation is very good for any kind of cans, (low and hi impedences-low and hi sensitiviti), the sound is a tipical SS sound. Very good construction and look, good price for the performances.

Best!
Nicola

Jan 31, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 41
bump
can't believe only few people got this amp
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #5 of 41
There are only a few users of the headfi.com site that have owned or have tested the PS Audio GCHA amplifier. The comments posted about the GCHA thus far seem to be very positive. I created a similar thread to gather more impressions but no worthwhile content was added. I own a GCHA amplifier and I will post my thoughts and images of the unit shortly.

Best,
iDesign

Feb 1, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 41
Gave you my opinions privately but I'll have to say that this is an amp that really reveals your other gear and cables. The old saying crap in crap out certainly applies here but it's going to really shine as you upgrade components as I learned tonight! This one is really growing on me....for a SS that is. Frankly, I see room in my life for both a SS and tube amp....maybe more!

Mr. Ampless no more and never again....NEVER!

edit: Hmm, is it worth $1K?? Shoot...just use paypal. Not even REAL MONEY!! What a great thing! You basically get stuff for free!! How sweet is that!?

Feb 1, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 41
I agree with KenW on this one, as well as Nik from italy who commented previously on its neutrality.

I was lucky to be able to compare it to a Dynahi in my system. The Dynahi was a tiny bit more "full" sounding. Not that the sound was lush and tube-like, but the players had SLIGHTLY more presence to them. The GCHA was not lean, though, and also presented the performers/instruments very well in space.

I ultimately chose the GCHA just because the Dynahi runs hot, and I had to switch it off between sessions. It sounded very good even just after turn-on, but did improve slightly after a bit of use.

The bass on my Dynahi was also a bit better than the GCHA. I heard it best on someone else's system, being pushed from a Theta DAC, but the Dynahi hit some amazing subterranean notes with great tightness and speed. The GCHA is VERY good in the bass, and I wish I had heard it in that system. But I ultimately think the Dynahi beat it out a bit there, too.

But for ease of use, flexibility to take computer signal in (USB), and pure neutrality, the GCHA is a great amp IMO. Does really well with my Senn 650's, but also does well with Sony SA5K's, AKG 701's, and even Grado 325i's int he brief listen I had with them. I haven't heard the A-T phones with them, but KenW and I think one other at least reported a nice synergy there, too.

EDIT: I got mine through Music Direct and they offer 6 or 12 months same as cash financing right now. I'm paying mine off over three months with no interest or finance charges! Neat stuff.....

Feb 5, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #10 of 41
I started to write a review and longish reply to this thread while listening to the PS Audio GCHA. It has became clear -very clear- that the GCHA is among the very best solid state headphone amplifiers. Ill let 6moons.com write a review instead and I wouldn’t be surprised if the GCHA is given the sites Blue Moon award. More directly I suspect that for many this could be the last word on solid state amplification for a long time.

Best,
iDesign

Feb 7, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #12 of 41
Feb 7, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #13 of 41
I would really like to hear from someone who has compared the Lehmann BC linear with the GHCA.

Anyone done this?

Feb 7, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
I would really like to hear from someone who has compared the Lehmann BC linear with the GHCA.

Anyone done this?

Very similar in sound...

Best!
Nicola

Feb 7, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #15 of 41
The comparison between the Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear USB and PS Audio GCHA is very compelling because both amplifiers use the Burr-Brown Japan PCM2702 USB DAC. Unfortunately, according to Norbert Lehmann the Black Cube Linear USB has been delayed for several more months (as of 23.1.06).

My only issue with the GCHA are USB signal dropouts that are likely not associated with the amplifier and are directly linked to my Apple PowerBook G4. Less critical is the lack of attention to detail given to the volume/ gain control and a clicking noise each time the DAC is first accessed is minimally problematic. Overall I am still deeply impressed by the product and have no future plans to ever upgrade. Much like every great photograph, the PS Audio GCHA is worth one thousand words and easily reaches well beyond its thousand dollar suggested pricing.

Best,
iDesign

Users who are viewing this thread

Back