PS Audio GCHA headphone amp, shootout?
Oct 17, 2005 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jimmyjames8

500+ Head-Fier
OK. I've read all there is to read in the archives. Is there someone else who has gotten one and compared it to another headphone amp in the GCHA's price range? Supposedly they have sold out of the first production run. Dying to know how it compares. $1000 is a lot of money.

Oct 17, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 11
There is very stiff competition in that price range, so I hope it not just holds its own, but sets a new standard.

Oct 17, 2005 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 11
Jude tends to answer PMs in good time, just not short time
biggrin.gif
Been waiting on a response to a PM for weeks now. Hasn't read it yet
frown.gif

Oct 18, 2005 at 6:31 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire
Doesn't Jude have one? You can send him a PM.

Jude is sending his pre-production unit back to be brought up to production specs, could be a few changes since then that could make good improvements.

Oct 19, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by magnum
Jude is sending his pre-production unit back to be brought up to production specs, could be a few changes since then that could make good improvements.

The design may still be evolving a bit even after the start of official production.

As there were no specs on their web site, Iemailed and asked about the GCHA's maximum gain from analog input to headphone output and maximum output voltage into 60 and 300 ohms. I never got an answer to the first question, but was quoted 1 Vrms for 16 ohms and about 3 Vrms for 300 ohms (4 Vrms maximum with no load). This didn't match the description on the web site, where it says in the Overview section "From the Gain Cell, the signal is fed into a discrete Class A power amplifier that puts out a couple of watts." So I wrote back, and got a reply saying the engineers were working on finding a way to have newer productions units actually match this specification. Today I was told that the engineers are now trying to determine how to actually implement the necessary changes.

Oct 20, 2005 at 9:00 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by trbl
The design may still be evolving a bit even after the start of official production.

As there were no specs on their web site, Iemailed and asked about the GCHA's maximum gain from analog input to headphone output and maximum output voltage into 60 and 300 ohms. I never got an answer to the first question, but was quoted 1 Vrms for 16 ohms and about 3 Vrms for 300 ohms (4 Vrms maximum with no load). This didn't match the description on the web site, where it says in the Overview section "From the Gain Cell, the signal is fed into a discrete Class A power amplifier that puts out a couple of watts." So I wrote back, and got a reply saying the engineers were working on finding a way to have newer productions units actually match this specification. Today I was told that the engineers are now trying to determine how to actually implement the necessary changes.

Thanks! Good to know, I'll wait and see what difference it makes, probley send mine back say in about six months.
600smile.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #9 of 11
I also finally got an answer to the gain (from analog inputs) question:

about 17 dB (unloaded)
about 12 dB into 60 Ohms
about 16 dB into 300 Ohms

Together with the maximum output voltage specifications, it sounds like the output impedance is not too low, on the order of 47 Ohms, for those interested in matters like damping factor and the effects on frequency response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back