PS Audio GCHA first impressions...
May 15, 2007 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

greggf

1000+ Head-Fier
Using DT770Pro/80 and HD650, the GCHA, fresh out of the box, sounds more than promising. It's clearly solid state, but seems a bit smoother and more liquid than the Naim Headline 2 that I'm also using. The Naim seems punchier and maybe quicker, and the bass seems better on the Naim, but there's a coarseness or a grain that I notice in the Naim, but only compared to the GCHA.

The GCHA seems endlessly powerful and is as clean as a whistle.

There's no doubt about it, PS Audio has put together a top-tier headphone amp. ("Engineered in Boulder, Manufactured in China.")

The only caution I'd give, even before break-in, is that no matter how much the sound changes over time, it's still going to be and sound solid state.

If you like that, and want a simple and gorgeous amp strong enough to pull tractors out of the mud and rip veils off Sennheisers - and pump the bass out of DT770 or Darth Beyers - get the GCHA.
basshead.gif

May 15, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 13
another impression: the GCHA sounds GREAT at low volume levels. Everything is all there, and is emotionally involving.

I would imagine it would be a tremendous amp if you were concerned about your hearing. Or about disturbing others around you less when using open cans.
cool.gif

May 16, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #3 of 13
Hi Gregg,

Your take on the GCHA is virtually identical to my observations and I think that this is one of the better SS amps out there.

If you want to get a better feel for the GCHA's bass potential via the Senns, perhaps you might consider a change of cabling if you haven't already done so. Never thought it would make that much of a differnence but it did.

My Senns have Cardas cabling, however, I have heard that they sound as well with Equinox, Silver Dragon, and Zu; with most preferring Equinox. YMMV.

Enjoy your GCHA and happy listening
eggosmile.gif

Cheers,
Garry

May 16, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #4 of 13
Garry,

I read your impressions before I ordered the GCHA from Crutchfield. Many thanks! You can't always trust what others hear. It worked in this case!

I have the stock HD650 cables. It's something that I have to pay attention to in the future.

I wonder how many folks are running 650s and the GCHA...............

May 17, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 13
I also agree that the GCHA is a great sounding amp. It is very sensitive to power cords as well. Sounds great with Senns and Grados.

May 17, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #8 of 13
Mine has been ordered. I want to listen to it stock, if I feel there is room for improvement, I might have it modded. Rick Cullen of Cullen circuits apparently has some drastically improved gain cells (his company manufactures them) which are apparently worth hearing. Supposedly it can benefit from some upgraded caps in the power supply as well.

May 17, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 13
I have always found the PS Audio GCHA to be one of the very best solid state headphone amplifiers available. The included DAC is a great addition that allows users to enjoy high quality audio without having to have an expensive CD player. The unit has performed very well despite one mechanical malady. One quality of the GCHA that I admire is that it can be listened to for hours without fatigue. Its a fine piece.

Best,
iDesign

May 17, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #10 of 13
The GCHA is one of the best amps I've ever heard (and I've heard MANY); unfortunately, it's made by a fairly large corporation, so it will get much less respect here. I highly recommend it.

May 17, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #11 of 13
seacard,

Good point. Large companies do seem to get less respect here.

I grow tomatoes, too. People in the "tomato hobby" hate big seed companies such as Burpee. They love squirrelly little outfits that ship tomato seeds from their attics or from the trunks of Buicks. So it seems to be some kind of weird "hobby" dynamic.

I'll take a good tomato or a good headphone amp wherever I can find one!

May 20, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 13
I also regard it as an excellent amp. Has anyone tried a modification? There are some offers from modders. Not that I urge for for a mod now, but it would be interesting to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back