PS Audio Digital Link III
Jul 10, 2007 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

eitook

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone have experience with the abovementioned DAC and how it stacks up to the current heavyweights (benchmark, lavry, stello, aqvox)?

Looks very tempting at rrp USD995 based on the BB PCM1798 DAC chipset (http://www.psaudio.com/products/digital_link_iii.asp). Not sure when this model was released though (saw this in the malaysian distributor's showroom), but it sure looks like a viable contendor for the under 1k DAC crown.

oops edit- found a link with a discussion on the DAC http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=189562 ; but would still appreciate any impressions from any users who have auditioned the unit.

Jul 10, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #2 of 8
Digital Link III is my daily DAC for GS-X/SRM-007tA(tII) as DLIII provides decent balanced output.
DLIII is a bit bulky and it is almost shares the same footprint to 007tA but a half height of 007tA. USB input is useful for PC audio but I always use it with my LINN IKEMI as a CD transport. Downside is lack of AES/EBU interface.

This is very good sounding DAC and I like it. It provides very wide soundstage as well. Compared to Benchmark DAC1, DLIII is smooth and musical, DAC1 is dry.

I think DLIII also has a good jitter reduction but this is just my opinion as I do not have any measurement gear.

Jul 10, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 8
I haven’t heard the Lavry, Stello, or the aqvox, but I have owned the Benchmark and have several hours with the PS Audio Digital Link III. If all you care about are features then the Benchmark is the hands down winner, but if you care about performance the PS Audio clearly outperforms the Benchmark. The PS Audio has a richer pallet (Better harmonic structure), and a warmer more musical presentation. At the same time the PS Audio has all of the resolution of the Benchmark. By comparison the Benchmark is a little whitewashed and analytical.

I don’t know about the others. Of course my musings are IMHO.

I do find it a little amusing that you consider these DAC’s the “current heavyweights”. I might agree that they are the Heavyweights at < $1000 but on an ultimate scale they can hardly be considered Heavyweights.

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 8
Im thinking of upgrading to this from an 0404 USB eventually, when I have the financial means to do so. Though there is nothing wrong with the Emu, as far as I can tell. The PS Audio just seems like it would be better, particularly concerning the PSU. Its enoumous
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #7 of 8
i own both ps audio digital link iii and mhdt lab paradisea+. i've written several comments in the paradisea+ thread. i don't have any experience with the benchmark or the lavry. i also do most of my listening through speakers instead of headphones. i use mainly the usb connection and listen to my apple lossless collection. imho, the ps audio digital link iii has higher resolution and a bigger soundstage, but the paradisea+ has a sweeter sound that only a tube dac can provide. in a side by side comparison, most people would probably pick the ps audio 90% of the time, but for long-session listening, i'm finding the sound from parasidea+ simply too addictive. its midrange magic is getting me hooked! i also managed to improve the resolution of the paradisea+ by using the dh lab silver sonic interconnect and a decent audioquest power cord. i used to use stock power cords or even computer power supply power cord, but ever since i upgraded to a much better quality, the difference has made me into a believer. doesn't matter which dac you end up getting, make sure to upgrade the power cord!

Jul 12, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Compared to Benchmark DAC1, DLIII is smooth and musical, DAC1 is dry.

Thank you for your honesty on the DAC1. I thought it was just me who felt that way about it. And I am only comparing it against a TC-7510 at 1/5th the price!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back