PS-1 vs PS1000 with flat pads
Aug 4, 2009 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Rob N

Headphoneus Supremus
I’ve tried this and found that it is possible to listen to the PS-1000’s with flats.Comfort is not great,the sound is much less forward than with the PS-1‘s,bass is huge (too much) and the treble is more detailed and cleaner,soundstage is bigger.It’s more neutral overall than the PS1’s in fact IMO quite a different sound to the ‘normal’ Grado sound.The PS-1’s are warmer and much more up front with a slightly less detailed treble.

Obviously the PS1000’s were not designed to be used with flats but it’s an interesting comparison of the driver sound.Are Grado moving away from their traditional sound?

Aug 4, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #2 of 18
Not sure about moving, don't think so, and not sure about PS1000 either, but using GS1000 with any pads than original one makes them sound weird, simply no go, for me anyway. Actually, I never preferred any Grado with other pads than original one.
Have you tried PS1 with PS1000 pads?

Aug 4, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 18
Can you post a picture of the PS1000 with flats? That seems like it would look interesting.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 18
And compare will bowl pads too? ^^

Biggie.

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #10 of 18
I for one prefer the PS-1 with bowl pads both to the PS-1000 with jumbos (too much bass, not enough mids) and the PS-1000 with bowls (muddy). The PS-1 is very detailed and has very satisfying bass, mids, and treble, and these are my favorite headphones. I want the PS-1000 to sound good, and have had glimpses of high performance, but when listening to these headphones, I'm usually left feeling that there is just way too much bass and not enough mids.

For those of you who prefer the PS-1000 to the PS-1, is there any secret to getting the best out of the PS-1000? Bending the headband, flattening the jumbos, cutting down the jumbos? I think the PS-1000 sits too lightly on my head, but I haven't had any luck with bending the headband: still too much bass.

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobra_verde /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I for one prefer the PS-1 with bowl pads both to the PS-1000 with jumbos (too much bass, not enough mids) and the PS-1000 with bowls (muddy). The PS-1 is very detailed and has very satisfying bass, mids, and treble, and these are my favorite headphones. I want the PS-1000 to sound good, and have had glimpses of high performance, but when listening to these headphones, I'm usually left feeling that there is just way too much bass and not enough mids.

Thanks for that info. I'm expecting PS-1000 by mail next week, but who knows when opportunity may arise to hear PS-1. Did you ever try to push PS-1000 mids by tube rolling or other methods? Not that I ave any idea whether that may do much, but then... someone might.

Mar 11, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #12 of 18
I haven't tube rolled, but I will. But I have tried the PS-1000 with my Aural Audition solid state amp and get similar results to my tubed HP-4. I don't think the problem is amplification -- I think it might have something to do with the fit to my noggin.

Please post your impressions once you get your PS-1000.

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #14 of 18
i am quite happy with my PS-1000s, and don't notice too much bass at all. sorry for the quick and unscientific post - just my opinion; they're great as is.

Apr 9, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 563 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am quite happy with my PS-1000s, and don't notice too much bass at all. ...they're great as is.

I've been listening often this month to my PS1000 and now I agree - these are great headphones! I have to get the volume just right and smush the jumbo bowls against my head. I will stand by my stance that these headphones have a huge amount of bass, but it is bass unlike any of my other headphones (PS1, vintage RS-1, HP-2, Senn 600). PS1000 bass is extremely musical, with lots of character. By comparison with the other phones, you know the bass is there, but their bass seems more gray and undifferentiated.

I just wanted to set the record straight -- that I have come around to thinking that PS1000 are the best headphones I have and are certainly worth spending the time to get to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back