PS-1: best sound, worst comfort
May 11, 2004 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Jorg

100+ Head-Fier
First I must say that it was a pleasure to deal with Mr. Ahlefelder from HiFi-Circle.de .

So here they are just from the box. Connecting them to Audionet ART V2 -> Grado RA-1 and we get a very natural and powerful sound. It's not even burned in yet, but it already sounds like music... But wait a minute! Do I have a brick on my head? It seems so. Damn all good feelings have gone. I have a headache. Even the 325 are not so heavy.

But still it sounds too good. And I have to do something with it. I guess a grado headband mod (like the Sony Qualia 010 headband I guess) is coming in a few months. And then I'll have the dream system (if I'll earn enough money till that time):
Dead silent computer -> E-mu 1212m -> Bel Canto DAC 2 (?) -> Larocco PPA or a good tube amp -> Grado Professional Jorg Headband Series 1 (PJHS-1)
icon10.gif

Seriously, PS-1 sounds very good. Bass is DEEP and POWERFUL. Everything else is just so perfect. Certainly there is no perfect headphone. But it's so good that I don't thing I'll need a better one. Surely Omega or R10 are great but R10 doesn't have such bass that I need for electronic music. I think that Omega II doesn't have it also. I havn't heard any electrostats but it seems that there is no "feeling" of bass with them aka "slam". And that is a major point for me.

P.S. I'm not new to Grado 'phones. And I know very well how they fit my head. But PS-1 is very uncomfortable to me. You can see my review of HD600, 325, RS-2 and RS-1 here: http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62911 . And RS-1 seemed to me ok (not as comfortable as HD600 but acceptable).

May 11, 2004 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 22
Have you tried bending the headband outwards to reduce the pressure on your head?

May 11, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 22
I havn't bought flats yet.

Yes, just when I opened the box befor I listened to it I bended the headband (as I did with my 225). It's not about pressure. It's about their weigth. I felt this only with 325 but it was lighter as I remember.

EDIT: And another thing I love about it is vocals. Not as spectacular as R10 but still very good.

50 hours of non-stop burning in remaining.

May 11, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 22
Jorg, maybe an amp swap would suit the power (current) hungry R10s better. From what I gather RA-1 is not the most powerful amp on the block... Anyway, glad you are enjoying the PS-1s.
orphsmile.gif

May 11, 2004 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 22
Jorg, what other sources have you tried with the R10's? I found the E-MU 1212M to be quite lean on the Bass Extension and Dynamics in my limited experience. Very tight and flat, but it just sounds thin to me.

I really enjoy electronic music (although I listen to alot more acoustic music) with my R10's, and the Bass is one of my favorite aspects of the R10's. I never loved pipe organs and percussions so much.

Although, I do own the Ety 4S and K1000 which make the R10's sound like bass mongers in comparison.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

May 11, 2004 at 5:46 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jorg

But still it sounds too good. And I have to do something with it. I guess a grado headband mod (like the Sony Qualia 010 headband I guess) is coming in a few months. And then I'll have the dream system (if I'll earn enough money till that time)

Please post a review and pics when are you buy the Qualia 010.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

May 11, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 22
For reducing the pain in the head that you get, try buying two neoprene rubber luggage pads that wrap around the handle of heavy luggage. Pleace them equadistantly up from the earcups and each other with a little space between them on top. This reduces the pressure on your head and should make them quite comfortable until you can get yourself used to the pressure exerted. I did it with the HP-1000 and while it itsn't pretty, it works quite well.

Happy listening.

May 11, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #10 of 22
Thanks for the tip, ServinginEcuador! I'll try it. Have you got used to it's weight?

Markl, I think it's not about the amp. I can't discribe what I didn't like about the low-end. I think Nik can explain you better as he sold them because of it. R10's bass is much faster and well controlled than that of HD600 but to me there is something discomfort about it. May be it's because of the close design. PS-1 instead has everything I need about the low-end even on RA-1

Ed, I don't have E-mu, PPA or Bel Canto yet. It's just my dream
rolleyes.gif

But I have Audionet ART V2 that costs more than they all together and it's my main source till E-mu arrives. I listened to R10 from some sony SACD and RA-1.

Chefguru, I hope to get them soon
basshead.gif

Edit: Hirsch is right. PS-1 needs a decent source. I just listened to it through an Audigy and it sounded AWFUL.

May 11, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jorg
Thanks for the tip, ServinginEcuador! I'll try it. Have you got used to it's weight?

I got used to the weight, but not the discomfort it forced upon my ears due to the earcups resting on them. I think supra aural cans and I don't get along, no matter what. I think one piece of cartiledge sticks up at just the right spot as to press uncomfortably upon my ears, no matter what cans they are. Even the SR325s I have now do the same thing, hence they're collecting more dust than use.

The neoprene can be a larger strip that is 6" wide and just big enough to wrap around the headband. Anyway you can get the way less padded Grado headband off your head is a worthwhile venture, so feel free to see what's available to you in the way of soft material.

May 11, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #12 of 22
Here's a question for you: how do the PS-1s sound with your iPod (with what type of file)?
smily_headphones1.gif
Just wondering...I'm curious to find out how revealing the phones are.

May 12, 2004 at 12:31 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball
Here's a question for you: how do the PS-1s sound with your iPod (with what type of file)?
smily_headphones1.gif
Just wondering...I'm curious to find out how revealing the phones are.

Gotta change my profile - the iPod has broken
frown.gif
But one thing is clear - they're very revealing. I found that I have many poor recordings. Even my favorite Oakenfold did some bad recordings
rolleyes.gif

But man are they good with a proper recording! Need to hear Omega 2 to make sure that electrostats are not for me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back