Protective sleeve for IEM cables
Jan 6, 2013 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sooner8888

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am looking for suggestions for a material to use as a protective sleeve for my IEMs.  I use MEElectonics A151K, (mainly podcasts or audiobooks) for their noise isolation while working outside with loud equipment (mowers, chainsaws, etc..) or indoors with power tools (table saw, sanders, etc).  As you can guess, I am very hard on my IEMs, and often end up with failed or damaged cabling, especially below the split.  Given the short life, especially the cabling, I try not to spend a bunch for highest-end IEMs, as they get replaced every year or so and the less than ideal listening enviroment.  For serious listening, I strap on my ATH-M50s and FioO amp.  I want to add protection and durability to this lower section of cabling.  I hope to find some type of braided material that can slip over this section of cabling and securely attach to the "Y" and the plug.  However, I am having a tough time finding such a material.  Can someone help with this?  Or is there some other material that excels for this purpose?  Other DIY improvements or replacements preferred?

Thanks to the genius and wisdom of HeadFi nation.

Lance

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 3
Go to your local workwear store and buy a set of construction boot laces. Cut the ends and pull the inside out. This will give you a nice solid sleeve you can slide over your cable. Not all shoelace fit over all type of TRS jack though, so unless you want to cut it off and install a new one, you'll have to find a shoelace that will fit.

Paracord may be tougher, but I have no experience with it so I'll let others comment on that.

There are many ways you can secure the sleeve over the cable. The easy way would be to use tape or heat shrink. Even better would be to use epoxy or Sugru. Either way, the quality of your work will be just as important as the quality of the material uses to insure a lasting product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back