Prosumer Digital Cameras
Jun 10, 2004 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Kelvie1234

100+ Head-Fier
I know this isn't the right forum, but the layout of the dpreview.com forums are just terrible.

I was just thinking of buying a digital camera. I want to take really good pictures, and also have a lot of features, as I plan to make digital photography one of my hobbies in the future.

Anyways, I've been looking at the Canon EOS300D digital rebel (with the lens kit) and the Canon PowerShot Pro1. Both seem like excellent cameras, and are about the same price (I don't plan on getting lenses anytime soon, although I keep at eye out at garage sales and flea markets). My main concern is the image quality.. I would also want a fast shutter speed.

I'm planning on getting one from eCOST.com (because they have a good shipping process to Canada, borderfree).. which one should I get?
And which memory card should I get? (keeping it relatively cheap with at least 512.. 1 gb preferred..)

Thanks in advance,
K

Jun 10, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 32
Image quality will be better with the Rebel. I'm not sure about shutter speeds, but I suspect the Rebel will excel there also.

I have been contemplating those two cameras also. I plan on getting the Pro1 because I need the flip up view screen for some things I am trying to do right now. I will eventually have both.

I just got the latest issue of Popular Photography, it has a shoot out of the 8 mega pixel prosumer cameras, including the Canon Pro1 and those other popular brands. Interesting reading, I've only skimmed the article so far.

Jun 10, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 32
i've played around with both camaras, i prefer the Pro1
the digital rebel will have smoother, less noisy pictures, but at the sizes they are at 6 and 8 MP), the image quality isnt too much of an issue. Both are really sharp. However, the Digital rebel needs a REAL lens, as the one that comes in the package is not all that great. If you are planning to go into this, go for the digital rebel. I use film, and I felt that the digital rebel handled horribly - the body was weak, unbalanced, and the viewfinder horrendously small. If you havent really used film SLR, most probably you wont mind these.

so digital rebel - you need to get a better lens = more expensive, but better pics
or Pro 1 - more convienient - less creative control - more consumerish

most likely you wont need to blow up the pictures to poster size, therefore either one will provide more than adaquate quality. the only difference is in the way you use it. Any btw, the pro1 is of a much better build than the rebel

[edit] you should also take a look at the Nikon D70 - much better build than the rebel (seriously, the rebel feels like a plastic toy) and not too much more expensive with similar picture quality

Jun 10, 2004 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 32
If you plan to turn this into a hobby, I'd suggest rebel. That's what I went with (about a month ago, after reading all the reviews on the web) due to all the extra creative controls that will let me grow as I gain more experience. The quality isn't too bad, although admittedly I would have preferred a metal body. Then again, with a metal body, it'll be much more expensive. Also, the ability to change lens is a plus in my opinion. As of now, the kit lens will do for someone like myself, who's just starting to learn. So far, it's pretty user friendly with very good ergonomics. Also, I suggest going with a 1gb card which can holds over 300 shots at the highest quality and you'll never have to worry about storage. I love it.

Jun 11, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 32
I went from a G3 to a 300D and absolutely enjoy it. I like the fact that I can change lenses, and the 300D allows me to be more creative with those different lenses. Yes, it is a polycarbonate body as opposed to metal, but I also saved $500 to put towards glass, and speaking of glass, watch out! I've been bitten by the "L" bug (Canon L series lenses), and my wallet has taken more of a beating with photographt than headphones. I view my lenses as an investment, and they will be with me for a long time, but I will most likely upgrade my DSLR on a regular basis. Just don't base your decision on the number of megapixels in a camera, you have to look at every option, and what is best for you. IMO, my G3 pics were just as good as a lot my 300D pics, but I wanted more autonomy with my shooting, thus the DSLR. Good luck, and have fun.

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #7 of 32
Interesting.. will the Pro1 take pictures right away (like for sports and stuff), or will it lag a little as have been the case with previous digital cameras I've tried before? Also.. the rebel also.

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:15 AM Post #8 of 32
the Digital rebel will be much faster, IIRC than the Pro1
the shutter lag on DSLRs will be much less than non SLR cameras

However, there will still be a small amount of lag, as any camera would, but on the rebel, it isnt much to worry about.

btw, rememebr that the DSLR has a mirror, so you cant use the LCD as a viewfinder, but you can for the Pro1

and again, I, like the others, think that the rebel is a good camera, especially if you are turning it into a hobby. The versatility of a changeable lens is a big bonus - only if you plan to actually do so. if you dont think you are going to buy and use muliple lenses, there probably isn't much point in investing so much into a camera. So you should be committed into this hobby if you are going for the rebel.

Good luck!

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #9 of 32
Oh, and also, the Pro1 isn't a SLR, I believe; what are the main advantages to having an SLR camera over one that is not?

(Also, I'm asking here instead of a digital camera forum because on those forums they have probably heard every single one of these questions and grow tired of answering them in any detail, I've been here long enough to know the community a lot better also.)

Thanks,

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #10 of 32
Man, I'd love a Digital Rebel. My dad got to borrow an EOS 10D from work for my graduation and they also had a lens that went from 50mm to 300mm... I had never used a high-end camera before and I was amazed at how far that sucker zoomed in, and especially at how good it felt in your hands. Felt like a tank. And the viewfinder was so clear... autofocus was amazing, too. It'll be a long time before I can afford something like that, I'll probably be at least out of college. For now I'll just pick up a Canon A70, that thing seems to be getting good reviews. After using that EOS 10D, though, I definitely understand why some people carry those huge things around, I used to think they were crazy
tongue.gif

EDIT- forgot to mention, but I was amazed when I found out how much cheaper film SLR cameras are than digital SLR. I've grown up in the digital generation so to me it'd be a hassle to constantly changle film and then go get it developed, but there is something cool about getting pictures back from the store in a pouch as opposed to organizing them with iPhoto. Seems like getting film developed would eventually cost as much as a digital SLR.

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #11 of 32
The digital rebel seems to be going for about 880 lately. I would like to pick one up if the price drops down to about 600.

Also take a look at Nikon D70, more features than the digital rebel, and a better stock lens.

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by djgustashaw
Man, I'd love a Digital Rebel. My dad got to borrow an EOS 10D from work for my graduation and they also had a lens that went from 50mm to 300mm... I had never used a high-end camera before and I was amazed at how far that sucker zoomed in, and especially at how good it felt in your hands. Felt like a tank. And the viewfinder was so clear... autofocus was amazing, too. It'll be a long time before I can afford something like that, I'll probably be at least out of college. For now I'll just pick up a Canon A70, that thing seems to be getting good reviews. After using that EOS 10D, though, I definitely understand why some people carry those huge things around, I used to think they were crazy
tongue.gif

Funny story... it started out, for me, with a FS post for an A70 in the forum here and the deal fell through. Somehow from there, I ended up spending much more.
tongue.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
The digital rebel seems to be going for about 880 lately. I would like to pick one up if the price drops down to about 600.

Also take a look at Nikon D70, more features than the digital rebel, and a better stock lens.

$600? I very much doubt it. They're selling like hot cakes as it is. $880 is an excellent price if that includes the lens kit. I'm also assuming that price is from an e-tailer. You'd best check their feedback on that particular etailer. When I was shopping around, they had some incredibly low prices all over the net; but those etailers turn out (per the negative reviews) to be nothing but scams. In the end, I decided to shell out the extra dough for my peace of mind.

Jun 11, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelvie1234
Oh, and also, the Pro1 isn't a SLR, I believe; what are the main advantages to having an SLR camera over one that is not?

well, an SLR is built fundamentally differently from the other non SLR cameras. SLR simply means Single Lens Reflex, which in the film world mean that what you see in the viewfinder is what the film will capture. This as opposed to a rangefinder, where the viewfinder you look through is a different lens that is used only as the viewfinder. This means that an SLR will take the picture nearly exactly as you see it instead of slightly off what you set it in the viewfinder. This error is called parralax error.

In the digital world, things are slightly different. Most camaras have an LCD display, which in function works as a viewfinder. This LCD will show exactly what the CCD will see, and thus what you will capture. Theoretically, this means that most digital cameras can act as SLRs. However, the definition is different for DSLRs. A DSLR will mean that the lens for the camera is removeable, and that there is a mirror, like the one in the film camera, that will reflect the image from the lens to the viewfinder. Therefore you can see the actual optical image through the viewfinder without using the LCD display and still see exactly what the CCD will see. Therefore they reduce the problems related will parallax error. However, ther main differences lie in the way the camera functions and handles. Quite simply, the DSLR is design for people to take pictures as they have with film SLR while regular digicams will be for the regular picture taker.

The SLR is built for the photographer in mind, so shutter lag is lower, picture quality is higher, and the degree of manual control much higher. And you can change lenses.

Also the size of the CCD is important, as the smaller the CCD, the more noise the pictures have. Regular digicams use really small CCDs, resulting in quite a bit of grain, while DSLRs have CCDs that have many times the area of the digicam CCD, resulting in a noise free picture that is often even smoother than film.

So adavantages:

higher sensitivites (allows you to use sensitivities up to 3200 ISO)
More control - allows you manual control of shutter and aperature, white balance, sensitivity, etc
Faster - less shutter lag
Easier to use - dedicated buttons and larger size result in faster changing of settings, etc
Expandabiliy - change lenses, add external flash
Picture quality - smooth and less noise
Robustness - usually built well and can handle situations where others cant
Versaltility - change the lens and you have a whole new camera

Disadvantages:

size
mass
noisy mirror (when you take a picture, you hear the clickity clack of the mirror flipping)
Price
hard to be discrete to use
you wil be less inclined to bring it everywhere because of its cost and size
cant use LCD as viewfinder
Need to buy lenses, usually DSLR sell body only or in a package with one lens - this is limiting compared to digital cameras with large zoom range built in

Jun 11, 2004 at 7:28 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelvie1234
(Also, I'm asking here instead of a digital camera forum because on those forums they have probably heard every single one of these questions and grow tired of answering them in any detail, I've been here long enough to know the community a lot better also.)

I belong to two digital forums (FM and Canon) and yes, these questions are asked a lot, but they always get answered because the vast majority of folks there like to help out. You can always browse the FAQs or do a search as well, but don't hesitate to ask a question as those forums are a great source of info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back