Pros /Cons of using Motherboard Coax Output to DAC
Aug 17, 2008 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

CodeToad

100+ Head-Fier
Is there any reason I would not want to just bypass the whole soundcard fiasco and just use the coax out based on the motherboard to an external DAC? Pros? Cons?

Aug 18, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 9
when i used an evs millenium, the sound of onboard digital out was usually noisy. it was until i used my 0404 usb as a transport that i got a clean signal..

now that i've sold the millenium, i use my 0404 usb as a dac through the s/dif out of my mobo (not usb). i find it clean sounding.. (now this is a new board, an ep35-ds4).

Aug 18, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 9
I thought I'd try that too. Took out my SB Audigy, activated the motherboard sound in the BIOS, loaded the drivers, and after all that, the stupid thing didn't work. Couldn't get a digital lock to my DAC using either coax or optical. Had to go back to using a soundcard.

Aug 18, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by billbillw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought I'd try that too. Took out my SB Audigy, activated the motherboard sound in the BIOS, loaded the drivers, and after all that, the stupid thing didn't work. Couldn't get a digital lock to my DAC using either coax or optical. Had to go back to using a soundcard.

Heheheh...don't you love this ****? That's why I asked, to see if anyone has personal insight.

I was thinking of using this mobo in the build ( GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R ). Does anyone have particular experience with this?

Aug 19, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 9
i have an ep35-ds4 (gigabyte) and the digital out is pretty good
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeToad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heheheh...don't you love this ****? That's why I asked, to see if anyone has personal insight.

I was thinking of using this mobo in the build ( GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R ). Does anyone have particular experience with this?

My motherboard (with the malfunctioning digital output) is the GA-P35-DS3R. Similar to yours. I probably just have a bad one, but to me, its not worth pursuing a warranty claim. Changing out MBs is a pain. I just got an Emu 0404 through Ebay for very cheap and couldn't be happier at this point. It sounds amazing on the digital and the analog outputs both.

Aug 20, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 9
I use a GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3. I ran a custom cable about 25 feet under my house to my HT receiver. I plan to later upgrade the receiver only because I'm not terribly fond of the 2-channel sound from that Sony receiver. When the sound becomes annoying, I switch to my Adcom, which has an analog interconnect over from the Sony, and 2-channel is much improved. The Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 uses the Realtek ALC888 and sounds pretty darn good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back