Pros and cons of Diff types of Broadcast, PAL Etc.
Mar 17, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 10
Sorry, I don't want to spend the time looking right now (google should give you plenty of info), but I think the rough comparison is:

Image resolution PAL > NTSC - Framerate PAL < NTSC

Am I right guys?

Mar 17, 2003 at 5:16 AM Post #5 of 10
What do you want to know? Pal has slightly higher resolution than NTSC (Never The Same Color). Overall, all three major broadcast standards(NTSC, PAL, SECAM) look pretty much the same. The difference is in frames per second as well as resolution.

Mar 17, 2003 at 1:11 PM Post #6 of 10
confused.gif

I always thought PAL was inferior...i have a live concert that was recorded in Germany, picture quality isn't all that great. Plus, some other tv shows i've seen based out of England looked rather drab.

Mar 17, 2003 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 10
Having a multi-region DVD & TV helps with this one...

NTSC Sitcoms (Friends, Frasier etc) when broadcast all look completely junk through a PAL setup, but NTSC DVDs look pretty damned great... apart from one thing, they appear more interlaced... you can see gaps between each line that just aren't apparent on PAL...

PAL appears to be smoother, and more realistic... although I daresay HDTV blows all of them out of the water
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2003 at 4:09 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
confused.gif

I always thought PAL was inferior...i have a live concert that was recorded in Germany, picture quality isn't all that great. Plus, some other tv shows i've seen based out of England looked rather drab.

Boyz & Girlz here's the info...

The first color TV broadcast system was implemented in the United States in 1953. This was based on the NTSC (National Television System Committee) standard. NTSC is used in all of North and Central America, the Philippines, South Korea and Japan.

Scanlines: 525
Frame Rate: 30 FPS
Frequency: 60 Hz

The PAL (Phase Alternating Line) standard was introduced in the early 1960's and implemented in most European countries except for France. The PAL standard utilizes a wider channel bandwidth than NTSC which allows for better picture quality. Variations on the PAL system are PAL B,G,H - PAL I - PAL D - PAL N & PAL M. PAL is used in most of Europe, Scandinavia, parts of Asia, the Pacific and Southern Africa.

Scanlines: 625
Frame Rate: 25 FPS
Frequency: 50 Hz

The SECAM (Sequential Couleur Avec Memoire or Sequential Colour with Memory) standard was introduced in the early 1960's and implemented in France. SECAM uses the same bandwidth as PAL but transmits the color information sequentially. It is used in France, Russia, C.I.S., the Middle East and Northern Africa.

Scanlines: 625
Frame Rate: 25 FPS
Frequency: 50 Hz

I work for a post house and have worked on a few PAL shows. Our Non-Linear system can accept a PAL signal so we edit the whole show, rent a PAL DBeta machine, & spit it out to tape. We've found that some transitions (cuts & dissolves) sometimes don't translate well when converted to NTSC. Usually it's a blurring of fields between the shots that cause trouble. Funny thing is alot of amatuer DV shooters are buying PAL DV cameras and then converting their edited project to NTSC. It gives it a somewhat film look to it.

Mar 18, 2003 at 1:11 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by archosman
Boyz & Girlz here's the info...

Mucho gracias senor!

That explains quite a bit.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back