Props to Channel Islands Audio - My Great Experience
Dec 2, 2009 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

swmtnbiker

Previously known as dpippel
So often we hear about the NEGATIVE dealings that most of us eventually have with audio companies while pursuing this little hobby. It's inevitable, and people tend to complain a lot more readily than they offer praise. So, let me relate a positive experience I just had with a well-respected and well-known little boutique audio outfit called Channel Islands Audio in Port Hueneme, California.

I've been using their great VDA-1/VAC-1 DAC/PS combo in my desktop headphone rig for a few years now. The VDA-1 is a very sweet little 24-bit DAC, and coupled with my Meier Headfive amplifier it's given me hours and hours of awesome headphone listening. Last week I was rearranging gear on my desk and had unplugged the 14V power cable from the VAC-1 to VDA-1 in order to move them. When I plugged the power cable back into the DAC the female receptacle inside the housing broke loose from the PCB and almost came completely off. Ouch! Needless to say, I had a big problem. The DAC was unusable.

I immediately contacted CIAudio via email and inquired about repair services, costs, etc. In less than 24 hours a gentleman by the name of Dusty Vawter replied to my email. He instructed me to send in the VDA-1 and CIAudio would "take care of me". Now that was a pleasant surprise! I carefully packaged the DAC and shipped it off. Eight days later, with the Thanksgiving holiday smack-dab in the middle of this process, my VDA-1 was repaired and returned to me in perfect working order. THIS EXCEPTIONAL SERVICE WAS PERFORMED AT NO COST TO ME!!! CIAudio did not charge me a penny to repair my DAC and they shipped it back at their expense to boot. I'm the second owner of this pair of source components but I was never asked to produce a receipt or questioned about when I had purchased them. Being "out of warranty" was never an issue. Dusty simply took care of my problem in the most exceptional way possible.

So there you have it. I wanted to give Channel Islands Audio and Dusty Vawter something in return for their absolutely awesome customer service by letting the Head-Fi community know about my happy ending. In a time when so many companies take the low road on customer service, these folks are proving there are still businesses around that not only care about their customers, they go out of their way to keep them. I can't recommend CIAudio highly enough. Thanks again Dusty!

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 17
Channel Islands Audio

happy_face1.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 17
yeah i've dealt with them before, truly a class AAA outfit. great gear too.

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 17
That's some impressive customer service. CIA is already pretty well-known for that, but stories like these are always nice to hear.

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #6 of 17
One of the reasons I bought my VHP-2/VDA-2 combo was CIA's excellent reputation. It's nice to know that if something does go wrong you'll be taken care of. Of course it doesn't hurt that their gear sound good too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 17
CI have responded very well to my questions about their products even though I am not their customer.
It's nice to know there are still companies that not only have an excellent product but also a first class support.

Dec 3, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 17
Happy to hear this. I had a similar experience with Wadia recently-- my 170 transport's craptastic coax connector snapped off under the load of a boutique cable and they fixed in gratis and quickly.

Dec 5, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #9 of 17
I've owned Audio Alchemy and or CI stuff for over a decade. Great equipment. Great bang for the buck. Very under recognized. I'm happy to give Dusty my thumbs up too.

Baz

Dec 8, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #12 of 17
I've toyed with the idea of buying the VDA-2 for some time now, but the lack of a power on/off switch always puts me off of the idea. To be fair, it's not really that big of a deal, especially for a DAC. Even so, I still wish that it had one. I'd love to own a component from Dusty, and it seems like the VDA-2 is one of the very best sources in its class. I think that it would be extremely interesting to compare it to my Pico DAC.

Dec 9, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #13 of 17
This was an initial concern of mine as well, but they run quite cool all the time and eventually it became natural to not have to punch a button to hear the music. They're designed to be on all the time so I'm sure the longevity is not affected. In fact avoiding the heat cycles caused by power up/down cycles may actually increase the longevity of the electrical components which may be why so many of these nicer boutique designs use this always on approach.

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #14 of 17
That's pretty much what I've read. Maybe I'll buy one in the future. I'd love to buy a new one from CIA, but it's hard to do that when some of the combo deals that crop up for it and the VAC-1 around here are so tempting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back