Props to all who love their ipods caseless/shieldless!
Dec 27, 2005 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

CamelBackCinema

500+ Head-Fier
And it feels great not having to worry about scratches or anything and keeping the case bulk off. Decided that I don't really care and it feels great. So post here if you do the same.

Keep in mind that I have a black 30GB with lots of scratches! And guess what, it sounds just as good as when it had no scratches!

Dec 27, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 25
It's not a big deal for your ipod body to be scratched as it's actually quite strong. However I'd advise like any other MP3 player that you get a screen shield at least. You do want to see what you're doing after all.

Dec 27, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 25
Not to hijack your thread, but I find my iPod still quite slim even with the Agent18 case on. On those days when I take it out, (usually to go right into the car) I am AMAZED at how thin the thing really is. But to bangraman's point, you really need a screen protector, and my feeling is WHY NOT protect the entire unit. My 4G Photo is over a year old and doesn't have a scratch on it. And I do like it that way.

Dec 27, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 25
iPod scratches are the tattoos, battlescars, & piercings of the portable audio world.

"See that? drop kicked at a Cannibal Corpse show!, and that one? a dog bit my leg and I dropped it down the stairs on campus where it totally dented the tank on some poseur's 'chopper'. It sounds even better now! Those scratches there? Thats when Dimmu Borgir chose my iPod to do lines of coke off!"

Dec 27, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 25
True about the Agent 18. It adds remarkably little size for a very protective case. You end up with a player which has an effective 4mm-thick polycarbonate face and a 2mm poly / stainless steel back, plus 3mm-thick polycarbonate side faces. Players don't potentially get any tougher than that, and your iPod itself can remain looking scratch-free... and all this while still being notably thinner than say an equivalent iAudio X5 (with its ~0.5mm aluminium plate faces). Sony have also released a clear polycarb case for their players which also looks very good.

Dec 27, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 25
Cases are for sissies. Just a few days ago my 4G 40GB fell three feet from the console of a treadmill onto the track, where it was then launched at a high velocity into the wall behind me. Still plays perfectly, and doesn't have any new scratches as far as I can tell. In fact, the only scratches it has have come from me carrying it around in the same pocket as loose change or keys.

iPod cases don't make any sense. Would you carry your cell phone around in a padded sleeve? Do you have a silicone jacket for your laptop? Ever do anything to prevent your cd player from getting scratched? Then what the hell makes your iPod so special?

(I will, however, concede that if you believe a case is absolutely necessary, Agent18 is the way to go.)

Dec 27, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 25
My Invisible Shield adds virtually no bulk and has made mine impervious to scratches. I understand where someone might not want to add bulk in order to save their iPod from stratches but with the Invisible Shield there is no reason to have to sacrifice.

Dec 27, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #9 of 25
Actually I won't mind that much either if I'm the only one using it. But in order to keep my "head-fi" experience cost most economical, I do sell my old gears from time to time as new gears come out. So it's crucial for me to protect my gears the best I can; so when I sell them, they worth something.

Dec 27, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 25
I do agree with OP's point about people's hyper-sensitivity to getting scratches on the iPod. I mean, it's not a museum piece. It's a thing intended to be used every day.

But having said that, I used a case on my 4g for protection. I dropped it a few times accidentally, and was glad that I had a good case on it. But I wanted a case that wouldn't detract much from the natural good looks of the iPod so I went with the Contour Showcase. Cases are for sissies? I don't think so. Cases are for those who don't want to gamble with $300-400 spent on buying an iPod. Cases won't protect the iPod from all disasters (e.g., leaving said item on an airplane) but it is one extra layer of insurance.

Besides the protection issue, preventing scratches preserves resale value as dskywalker indicated... not that I used a case to preserve resale value as I generally don't sell stuff I buy. I have to admit preventing scratches was a strong motivator for using a case. What can I say? I'm a little anal
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose
Would you carry your cell phone around in a padded sleeve?

Actually, yes
tongue.gif
. The other day, I ordered a Vaja i-volution case for my new black Razr v3. I have one for my Pocket PC, and in addition to the functional aspects of a case, I love the Vaja look.

Call me vain, call me anal, but don't call me a sissy
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #12 of 25
Only reason I use a case is for resale value. I recently sold my 4gb mini for almost what it cost me 9 months ago. I think it lost around £20 in that time, pretty good I reckon. Also im rather accident prone and tend to drop things. My brothers uncased mini has a massive crack in the screen and is now worth nothing if he would want to sell it on.

Rob

Dec 27, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #14 of 25
I'm wondering has anyone tried Clear Contact Paper on their Ipod?
Sounds as good as the specialty stuff.

Dec 28, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #15 of 25
I tried clear contact paper but it was not truly clear. A bit spotty and hazy. But it was cheap, that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back