Proposed Set-up for AKG K701/702
Feb 15, 2010 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

wgb113

100+ Head-Fier
I've perused the threads throughout these great forums and am just looking for some comments on the following setup that I am contemplating:

iMac running iTunes playing AIF files via optical output-->Benchmark DAC1-->AKG K701 or 702.

I primarily listen to rock music from the 60's through present with bits of classical and jazz mixed in. The only headphones I own now are a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s that I purchased for when I travel for use with my MacBook Pro.

I have not purchased the AKGs or the Benchmark yet but plan to. The Benchmark would allow me to use one unit for my headphones and my speakers (Dynaudio BM6AmkII).

For this setup I am focusing on a critical/analytical sound. I have a home theater setup for a more "musical" sound.

Am I headed in the right direction for the sound I'm looking for? I know some will caution that I should be careful what I wish for but, at least for now, I want to hear a recording for what it is, warts and all.

Thanks,
Bill

Feb 15, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 24
The K702 is very very musical if driven by the proper amp.

Get a HQ SS amp like the SPL Auditor/Burson HA-160/Headroom Ultra Desktop.

Also get Ken Ball's SXC Cryo cable from ALO Audio

k701smile.gif

Feb 15, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 24
An interesting setup you're proposing there. You should be pleased with the results, though don't expect the ATH M50 bass response out of them K702's.
smily_headphones1.gif
Though they aren't bass heavy, I find them to be honest, i.e., well balanced in this regard. Many lousy recordings simply lack bass and dynamism and the K702's will make this very evident.

Good luck. I love my HeadRoom Ultra Desktop Amp and how it works with the K702's. I've always been curious about the Benchmark DAC1. You need a great DAC for great resolution and AFAIK you shouldn't go wrong with your choice of DAC.
smily_headphones1.gif
If you're looking at the HeadRoom Ultra Desktop, then I highly recommend also considering the Desktop Power Supply unit that's sold separately.

Feb 15, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 24
I figured from the various posts on the 701/702 that the M50's would sound bass-heavy in comparison so it'll be nice to have them around for a change.

The Headroom model was at the top of my list until I decided to make my system even simpler. I know a few buddies that have their products and they swear by them.

Bill

Feb 16, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by wgb113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I figured from the various posts on the 701/702 that the M50's would sound bass-heavy in comparison so it'll be nice to have them around for a change.

The Headroom model was at the top of my list until I decided to make my system even simpler. I know a few buddies that have their products and they swear by them.

Bill

A lot of SS amp's can drive the K701/2, from the Meier Corda Headfive to the Phonitor, but you'll need a DAC if you're using computer, not for power just for the sound quality.

Feb 16, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of SS amp's can drive the K701/2, from the Meier Corda Headfive to the Phonitor, but you'll need a DAC if you're using computer, not for power just for the sound quality.

That's why I'm digging the Benchmark DAC1. It will fill both needs in one small, simple package.

Bill

Feb 16, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 24
701's are on the near horizon for me. I currently have a pair of HD650's and RS-1's.

My amp for the last few years has been the HeadAmp GS-1, I love it.
Anyway, I wanted to utilize my laptop as source in other parts of the house and wanted to try the 701's but needed a DAC plus an Amp and I wanted the same type of sound on this second system as the first. Warts and all as you say. I really wanted a one box solution if possible and chose the Benchmark DAC1 USB.

I've had it for a few weeks now and am quite pleased with it as a DAC and as an amp for both the HD650's and the RS-1's.

I can't provide any feedback how the DAC1 drives the 701/702's but I made the right decision with it as a link in the chain for what I have so far.

A few months down the road I'll get the 701's and give them a go.

Benchmark has a 30-day money back guarantee trial period. You can't go wrong unless you are averse to mailing things back if they aren't to your liking. Good Luck and Have Fun.

Feb 16, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #9 of 24
I think this will be a nice rig for your requirements. The K701's will sound thin and harsh out of the box (makes your eyes blink), but will improve with use, as I'm sure you know. Mine are just starting to really sing after a 100+ hrs. and the detail and musicality is gorgeous. I had great performance from the Headfive with mt K701's so another option might be a Corda dac/amp like the Opera in the sales forum, although I can't comment first hand on the combination.

Feb 16, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K702 is very very musical if driven by the proper amp.

Get a HQ SS amp like the SPL Auditor/Burson HA-160/Headroom Ultra Desktop.

Also get Ken Ball's SXC Cryo cable from ALO Audio

k701smile.gif

+1 on the Headoom Ultra Desktop and ALO Cryo SXC.

Many amps will drive the K702s adequately, but you cannot ever envision using the stock cable, once you have tried the K702 with the ALO Cryo SXC. This combination is what finally made me a believer in cable upgrades.

Be forewarned: if you do not like huge headstage, this combination may not be for you.

I run Foobar2000>M-Audiophile 192>Headroom Ultra Desktop DAC/AMP>AKG702 or HD650 (ALO Jena 18g Cryo) or JH13 (twAg Whiplash) and back output to Audioengine 5 speakers. I am really happy with my Desktop setup, though I plan to replace the HD650 with HD800 or Grado PS1000.

-Mike

Feb 16, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mivanitsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1 on the Headoom Ultra Desktop and ALO Cryo SXC.

Many amps will drive the K702s adequately, but you cannot ever envision using the stock cable, once you have tried the K702 with the ALO Cryo SXC. This combination is what finally made me a believer in cable upgrades.

I run Foobar2000>M-Audiophile 192>Headroom Ultra Desktop DAC/AMP>AKG702 or HD650 (ALO Jena 18g Cryo) or JH13 (twAg Whiplash) and back output to Audioengine 5 speakers. I am really happy with my Desktop setup, though I plan to replace the HD650 with HD800 or Grado PS1000.

-Mike

Do you increase the gain when listening to HD650 or you use the same amp setting for both K702 and HD650?

Feb 16, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #13 of 24
k70x is all about what you havent heard it with. myn seems to get better with everything i throw at it....
confused_face(1).gif
(scaling up that is) they are a cruel mistress as someone here has described them as but once you tap into their potential through burn in and proper power they really are addicting. Dont buy these if you cant afford lots of supportive source material to go with, or like to tinker (like me) ...(dont we all here at head-fi?)

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #14 of 24
Can I suggest my setup?
Little Dot DAC_I --> Audio-GD Roc --> Balanced K702
The amp is really powerful and transparent, can drive those cans easily, while the LD DAC_I adds a warm and smooth touch.
Even if the cans aren't properly burnt-in (2 weeks old) I'm already happy with the sound signature.

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #15 of 24
I would recommend getting the K701, as you can get them re terminated to go balanced, where as with the K702 you cannot. Well, not without some extreme modding. Get a good balanced SS amp like the Headroom for example. Don't go out and spend like $500 on interconnects though, just get a good cable for the K701 that is terminated with a 4 pin XLR plug (or 2 3 pin if needed) and a good balanced SS amp
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back