Proposed plan, suggestions
Jan 26, 2005 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JimmyDean

Head-Fier
Pretty soon I plan on making a substantial upgrade to my stereo system (I hope). Right now I am using a JVC reciever for my amp, and its not bad, but its pretty old and messed up. What I planned on doing was this. I was going to build one of those s5 electronics K12 tube amp kits, and make it in a nice case and everything. I planned on also making high quality interconnects (starquad and F10s). Im also using an equalizer, made by Realistic. I planned on changing out the RCA jacks on that to gold plated ones. The speakers im using right now are pioneer CS-603s, which are from the 70s. They have a 12" woofer, a mid, and a horn and ribbon tweeter. What kind of improvement can I expect from this?

Jan 26, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 3
oh man.this is gonna cost you some "jimmy dean " sausages but here goes :

First-what do you plan to use as your preamp/control console ? The Radio shack Equalizer ?
You need to consider an extra input selector switch if so.Actually the EQ is the weak link but if you like it who am i to knock it ?

The speakers may be fine if they are like what i am thinking.Highly efficient so the eight watts of the s-5 should drive them in an actual room setting just fine.

the interconnects are up to you and what sound you are looking for but really come down more than the other parts to system matching.I would do the system,listen and then correct any perceived weaknesses.Don't worry about "on paper" specs but only the end sound and if it please or displeases YOU.

good luck man

Jan 26, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 3
I like this radio shack eq... The stylin of it is nice, and it has a preamp control for + or - 6db. I have a studio shaper EQ as well. Its much larger, but does not have a volume control. Its like a fake rackmount type eq. I might get a new EQ, like a Teac with a spectrum analyzer. Im going to make all the interconnects matching. This is going to be done pretty soon, Ill post some pics soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back