Proposed First South Island, New Zealand Meet
Sep 17, 2005 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

overlunge

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have seen a slow climb in number of Head-fiers in New Zealand since I joined this forum earlier this year. In the process, I have get to know a few of you, either through email/PM/MSN or in person.

Just want to throw this idea around to see if we can come up with a meet (mini or full scale,
biggrin.gif
) before the end of 2005, location is open for suggestion but maybe in Christchurch that I am keen to host it.

PM me, or post in this thread if you are keen! The invitation extends to all the North Island/Stuart Island/Cook Island and fellow Australian that's keen to fly over!

Looking forward to hear from you!

Update 30/09/05
The interested parties so far are: overlunge, safetrader_1, tuatara, and lenzman. The next thing is to work out a date, and hopefully when a date is set, there will be more people coming out of the woods.

If you have a date in mind please PM, preferably before 12th December.

Thanks.

Update 17/10/05

The First Ever South Island, New Zealand (mini) Meet will be held on the Sunday, 23rd October 2005, between 12 PM-4 PM With three participants at the moment, but anyone who's interested around Christchurch, New Zealand area is welcomed, give me a PM if you want to come along.

Overlunge

Sep 17, 2005 at 7:09 AM Post #2 of 22
ygpm

Sep 25, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 22
This place never ceases to amaze me! Havea great time, but don't forget to take pix. Go Kiwis!

Sep 25, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
This place never ceases to amaze me! Havea great time, but don't forget to take pix. Go Kiwis!

lol, Tyll... We Kiwis are slowly taking over the world, wait till you see Peter Jackson's King Kong climbs up the Empire State Building... :roar:

BTW, when's Headroom going to come around this part of the world to experience our fine hospitality? (Oz/Kiwi)

Cheers,

Overlunge

Sep 26, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 22
Actually, spent some time this weekend doing a bit of research on how to move all my gear country to country without incuring rediculous tarrifs. It can be done with a thing called an "ATA Carnet" which is basically a piece of paperwork. The trick is that I have to nail down EXACTLY what I'm taking and it can't vary without getting another carnet. So, this winter I'm going to be tweaking my outfit so that I have a fixed set of gear, then I'll apply for the carnet. First trips will likely be Canada, then Europe as I shorted them on this last tour. But I reckon spring/summer (your fall winter I suppose) of 2007 I'll head to the orient and the land down-under.

Sep 26, 2005 at 1:33 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
Actually, spent some time this weekend doing a bit of research on how to move all my gear country to country without incuring rediculous tarrifs. It can be done with a thing called an "ATA Carnet" which is basically a piece of paperwork. The trick is that I have to nail down EXACTLY what I'm taking and it can't vary without getting another carnet. So, this winter I'm going to be tweaking my outfit so that I have a fixed set of gear, then I'll apply for the carnet. First trips will likely be Canada, then Europe as I shorted them on this last tour. But I reckon spring/summer (your fall winter I suppose) of 2007 I'll head to the orient and the land down-under.

Great, I will go and mark my diary !!! If you happen to come to my town (Christchurch, New Zeealand) feel welcome to crash at my place, saves you some accommondation expense!

(What Kiwis' do best! Go to a 'mate's place' and crash there for a month
eek.gif
while there are backpacking around the world!)

Overlunge

Sep 27, 2005 at 11:56 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Would be nice, but CHCH is a bit far away for me.

Hi Carl,

Where about are you? The meet won't happen till towards maybe late Oct/Nov , no set dates yet... We would love you to join us.

Overlunge

Sep 28, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
Where about are you? The meet won't happen till towards maybe late Oct/Nov , no set dates yet... We would love you to join us.

Hamilton.

I don't think I could justify the cost of a return plane ticket to Christchurch I'm afraid.

Sep 28, 2005 at 9:06 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Hamilton.

I don't think I could justify the cost of a return plane ticket to Christchurch I'm afraid.

Hi Carl,

That's all good... But I am just trying to see if there's any interests out there in South Island area. When the date is set, you are more than welcome to join us, if not, maybe just chime in when the meet report thread is posted!

Much appreciated! Thank you for your interests anyway!

Overlunge

Sep 28, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
Hi all,

I have seen a slow climb in number of Head-fiers in New Zealand since I joined this forum earlier this year. In the process, I have get to know a few of you, either through email/PM/MSN or in person.

Overlunge

Hey I'd love to join you, but I got family committments which prevent me from getting away this year (although a meet would be perfect excuse for a trip to Christchurch).

If Tyll could be there, it would be great to have you over as keynote guest or speaker.

I will stay tuned to this post. Maybe it could become an international event. Afterall everyone wants to come to Middle Earth.

Sep 28, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie II
Hey I'd love to join you, but I got family committments which prevent me from getting away this year (although a meet would be perfect excuse for a trip to Christchurch).

If Tyll could be there, it would be great to have you over as keynote guest or speaker.

I will stay tuned to this post. Maybe it could become an international event. Afterall everyone wants to come to Middle Earth.

Hi Ernie II,

Thanks for dropping in, glad to see the Kiwis are growing in presence on Head-fi. We would love you to join us, either this time or in the future. Just keep track of this thread, keep in touch...

Overlunge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back