Proper way to wear flat pads?
Jan 12, 2005 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MD1032

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey, I think I need a diagram on an ear to show you, so here we go:

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/images/Davi...-annotated.jpg

On my ears, the "Helix" is not prominent or drastically curled on the back and lower back at all. Instead, the pressure point that always ends up hitting my Grados is the Anti-Helix on my ears (since it has the cartilage), that bump thing. My question is: Should the anti-helix rest just on the inside of the pad on the actual mesh of the driver (still contacting the pad, of course, it's kind of shoved in that corner), or should it rest just right on the inside of the pad, with the actual mesh not touching any part of the head? This results in a different sound, with less treble, almost as if the driver is too off-center, or maybe it's centered and this is how it's supposed to sound? Also there's a lot more pressure on the Anti-Helix itself. I instinctively do the earlier thing where the Anti-Helix hits the mesh and pad together, because that is the way I always wore my bowls obviously.

Jan 18, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 3
bump for a previous question left answered.

Jan 30, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #3 of 3
i've been asking myself the same question lately. i generally do the same as you, antihelix touching the driver. this sounds better to me. i don't find comfort to be much improved either way, they can both become irritating after a while (a long while, assuming the music is good enough
wink.gif

edit: never paid much attention to whether or not the length of time before irritation varies significantly between the pad placements. sometimes switching to the alternate method can give me temporary relief. i also have an old pair of flat pads that have become quite squashed. when i wear them, the drivers come into contact with my tragus as well as my antihelix. this can be quite uncomfortable. bass on some recordings sounds bloated and smeared with these pads. on others it sounds quite excellent
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back