Proper way to set volume of source and amp
May 14, 2010 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

The Fire Snake

Head-Fier
Guys,
   What is the proper way to set the volume levels?  I have a simple setup right now and I have a source hooked up with a amp and then my headphones plug into the amp.  What is the proper way for me to set the volume?  Specifically I have 2 questions:

1.)  Do I set the volume of the source to the max and then set the volume with the amps volume knob?
2.)  Do I do all volume adjustments with the amp now?

Thanks.

May 14, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #2 of 4
Ideal way:
If your source has a digital volume control then running it at max should provide the highest resolution signal. Then adjust the volume on your amp.

Realistic way:
Some amps have poor quality volume controls that do not track well (left/right balance) at very low rotation settings. So if you find yourself using the lower end of the volume control on the amp then I would advise you to reduce the level out of the source untill you can use at least 25% of the rotation of the amp volume control.

May 14, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
Ideal way:
If your source has a digital volume control then running it at max should provide the highest resolution signal. Then adjust the volume on your amp.

Realistic way:
Some amps have poor quality volume controls that do not track well (left/right balance) at very low rotation settings. So if you find yourself using the lower end of the volume control on the amp then I would advise you to reduce the level out of the source untill you can use at least 25% of the rotation of the amp volume control.

I find this is generally true. Unfortunately, a lot of amps have rediculously high gain settings for more sensitive headphones, so you're going to have to turn your source down a lot to get something even closely resembling good control of the pot.

May 14, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #4 of 4
Yup, what Leny said.  I've got a Ming Da amp with a volume pot that doesn't balance well at low volumes, so I've got the volume of my source usually between 30% and 50% so that I can keep the volume on my amp alittle higher.  Works just fine.  You really wouldn't be able to tell a difference anyway IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back