Proper usage of E5C/E4C?
May 23, 2005 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

akwok

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase an E4C/E5C. However, I saw some pictures and noted that everyone seems to wear them like so :

SiliconSleeveWorn.jpg

Would it be possible to wear it like you would earbuds, with the wire going straight down instead of looping around the ear?

Thanks

May 23, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #2 of 6
Short Answer: No.

I have E3c's but they loop around the ear and go down in front of my chest (not down the back).

However, it is possible to wear them like you stated, except they may fall out of your ears and you'll have a horrible seal b/c of the weight of the wires. Looping them over your ears helps the phones stay in your ears and helps w/ the weight of the phones (esp Shure's thick heavy wire).

They weren't built to be worn like that.

//PowerMac

May 23, 2005 at 1:28 PM Post #3 of 6
Partially agree with above. Except I've worn E3s, and now E4s down the front just like earbuds with no problems. I use tri-flange tips exclusively, and when properly inserted they ain't coming out. Plus the weight of the chord isn't that much to create serious 'pull' anyway. If it seem that troublesome, you can always employ a makeshift shirt clip to hold it in place and support the weight.

Not much of a way to do it with the E5s, however. The angle of the exit point of the chord and position of the units in the ear pretty much makes it impossible to do any app other than 'over the ear'.

May 23, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 6
looping around my ears is just too much work. I insert them straight up. It seems that my ears aren't that big to fit the entire bud inside anyways.

May 23, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 6
I -sometimes- wear the E3 in classic earbud style. The E5 you have to wear over the ear. In my opinion, the over the ear method is really no hassle once you get used to doing it that way. Routing over the ears all but eliminates the cord microphonics, which may or may not be a big deal to you. The other advantage to the over the ear route is that if you need to pop one of the phones out to talk to someone, the over the ear route kinda holds it in place for easy replacement. I also wear glasses, and find no problem with comfort going over the ear. How it fits over your ear is largely a product of how you angle the cord as it exits from your ear. I would say play around with this method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back