Proper IEM for Genre?
Jan 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Domo0826

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone!  

I have been lurking around your forums for a while and needed your advice. I am also new at this site and forgive me for poor formating and/or spelling and grammer.  I used to own MEElectronics M9 and currently own klipsch s4.  The s4's were ok, but are showing serious signs of wear and its time to get a new pair of iems.  I normally listen to a lot of Fall Out Boy, Panic! at the Disco, and occasionally pop like LMAO and PItbull.  What would be the best IEMs to get to listen to these bands? My budget is around $100 Thanks in advace!

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 36
The Etymotic HF5 are very detailed in mids and has crisp clear extended highs with good lowend and provide tight seal(highly recommended).

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #4 of 36
The MC5 is based on dynamic drivers and offers more bass punch than HF5 but not as detailed( in mids and highs )as HF5. The genres music you listen and used S4, i will recommend to buy HF5 if you want to listen hidden details in music with good bass amount. But if need bassy IEMs without too much details in music then Turbine, Sony EX310, EX510, Brainwavz M4(still very detailed with deep punchy bass) are recommended and they shows good details in music as S4 or more.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #5 of 36

Quote:
Thank you for your quick reply! I was eyeing them but will they have a good enough bass for people like LMAO?

I don't think any Etymotic will suite you for bass with things like LMAO.  Although many people will say it's enough, it really isn't as bands like that either need really powerful sub-bass or a large body.  The Etymotic has neither unfortunately.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 36

Quote:
I don't think any Etymotic will suite you for bass with things like LMAO.  Although many people will say it's enough, it really isn't as bands like that either need really powerful sub-bass or a large body.  The Etymotic has neither unfortunately.

What are your suggestions then?  I normally listen to bands like FOB and P!ATD so I thought Etymotics would do the trick.  If not Etymotics, what about brainwavz m2 or m4?

Quote:
The MC5 is based on dynamic drivers and offers more bass punch than HF5 but not as detailed( in mids and highs )as HF5. The genres music you listen and used S4, i will recommend to buy HF5 if you want to listen hidden details in music with good bass amount. But if need bassy IEMs without too much details in music then Turbine, Sony EX310, EX510, Brainwavz M4(still very detailed with deep punchy bass) are recommended and they shows good details in music as S4 or more.

I know the HF5 would have better mids and highs than the s4, but are the MC5s mids and highs better than the s4? The s4s highs were not very good on songs in FOB and it got annoying sometimes.

Jan 28, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 36

Quote:
What are your suggestions then?  I normally listen to bands like FOB and P!ATD so I thought Etymotics would do the trick.  If not Etymotics, what about brainwavz m2 or m4?

Hm...  To fit all your genres.  I have heard every Brainwavz M series except the 2s (M2s), I can say that each will do the trick, but it depends on your preference.  I would recommend the M3 and M4.  The M4s represent a nice balanced sound with and emphasis on the upper half of the sound spectrum while the M4s have a V-shaped that will fit your pop and rock/alt perfectly.  Other ideas include something like the ThinkSound TS02 which has beautifully textured bass with great high end flare while still being transparent enough to let the mids shine in (especially for your genres).  Another IEM that does work for your genres is the MEE CC51 (which is soon to be discontinued from what I've been hearing).  However, they only work for your genres that do require mids, ThinkSound does a much better job at it and that would probably be my suggestion. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #11 of 36

Quote:
Thanks Tinyman! I think I may want to go for the brainwz m4 or the mc5s now.

M4s are a nice fun IEM.  I wish I could tell you more on the MC5s, I only own the HF2s and EtyKids 3.  I've heard many on these forums say that the MC series is extremely dry and boring.  I wish I can confirm of deny this claim for you though.  Just something to keep in mind.

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #12 of 36

Quote:
M4s are a nice fun IEM.  I wish I could tell you more on the MC5s, I only own the HF2s and EtyKids 3.  I've heard many on these forums say that the MC series is extremely dry and boring.  I wish I can confirm of deny this claim for you though.  Just something to keep in mind.

Ok thanks! Are the m4's build quality good?  I've heard it isn't the best while the MC5 does have good build quality.  My s4s wore down due to various reasons such as heavy travel use.

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #13 of 36

Quote:
Ok thanks! Are the m4's build quality good?  I've heard it isn't the best while the MC5 does have good build quality.  My s4s wore down due to various reasons such as heavy travel use.

It depends on which model you get.  The non-mic'd model has a strong cable and headphone jack, so you shouldn't have any worries.  The mic'd model has a weaker cable. 

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #14 of 36

Quote:
It depends on which model you get.  The non-mic'd model has a strong cable and headphone jack, so you shouldn't have any worries.  The mic'd model has a weaker cable. 

Hmmm.... I reading reviews on the m4 and I am hearing build quality issues.  Can anyone tell me their opinion on the m4's build quality?  They look like they would fit my preferences but the build quality is scaring me off...

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #15 of 36
No one mentioned the Shure SE215? It's $99, and it has the same frequency response graph with Beats IEM's. :) Really alot of bass, and extremely good isolation (I doubt there's anything with better isolation than Shure Olives apart from Triple flanges. So yeah! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back