Proper etiquette for price-posting?
Nov 15, 2005 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BigBadWolf

New Head-Fier
Was reading somewhere on these forums that posting a retailer's price is not proper etiquette. I can understand this if the retailer decides to change his price, then they won't get potentially angry purchasers calling them that the price has gone up. So not posting prices avoides reseller's headaches.

My issues are:

1. If I find a good price, why not pass that info. along to the next guy so he can also save?

2. A LOT of people here in Toronto find it rather difficult to find good audio equipment. That being said, posting a "good" price kills two birds with one stone: People know where to go to get a good can, and they can buy it at a very good price.

Am I wrong? Please offer up your perspective, I would really appreciate it.

Nov 15, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 8
I'm from Toronto - I think posting prices is great
smily_headphones1.gif

I understand why sponsors don't want prices posted sometimes but often times the sponsors for this site have the best prices or will match so I don't think it's such a big issue.

Nov 15, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 8
I tend to think posting a good price means more sales for the retailer. I haven't hesitated to post prices from Headroom, Earphonesolutions, Amazon, or Newegg in the past. The only time I might hesitate is when the seller is a small DIY kind of operation, like the guys who makes amps (PA2v2, PIMETA, etc.). In those cases, where they don't have a traditional online store with fixed prices, I would just recommend people to find out prices for themselves.

Nov 15, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 8
The reason behind not posting REALLY good deals, is that local retailers monitor these forums and complain to the manufacturer about un-beatable competition. The manufacturer then shuts off that great deal. Links are fine, PM's are better, but the worst thing you can do, is to post actual prices on these forums. Not so much etiqutte, but good sense!
icon10.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 8
you have a good point there, and I mostly agree with that logic.

however, the devil's advocate in me has to ask what right do other dealers have to complain to the manufacturer? If they can't offer the same deal, shouldn't they look to themselves for a solution? It's no the manufacturer's fault that someone can sell it for less - isn't that what open market and competition is all about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back