Proper DAC/AMP Setup with an internal soundcard? (AE-5)
Aug 26, 2019 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

knivek

100+ Head-Fier
I am presently running a pair of Aeon Flow Closed from my SoundBlaster AE-5. I am looking into potentially upgrading to a proper AMP/DAC combo. I am newer to the hi-fi scene, so please go easy on me.

My questions:

• Would I just use the line out plug on the soundcard to something like a Schiit Jotunheim? Will this still make use of the sound card's 3D EQ settings etc?
  • Do I need a DAC coming from the line out? The AE-5 has a decent sabre DAC, so perhaps I could spend more on a higher end amp?

Aug 27, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #2 of 8
The SB AE-5 can not send it's headphone surround sound processing thru the line-output (speaker jacks)
(not sure about 3D EQ)
But it can spend is headphone surround sound thru it's S/PDIF optical port,

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #4 of 8
The SB AE-5 can not send it's headphone surround sound processing thru the line-output (speaker jacks)

Are you sure about this? It’s been a while since i ran that config but i had virtual surround through a magni amp connected to the line out. There is an option in the control panel ‘apply virtualization to: headphone/line out’.

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 8
That's what I just read in a previous review from another member. He was running a Jotunheim amp with the line out (I believe setting it to Line Out turns off the amp in the headphone just and just makes it a direct line out but keeps the DAC/DSP).

I just want to have more control and the possibility to use a balanced cable. It's either this or sell off my headphones and purchase a pair of Focal Stellia with less power requirements.

Aug 27, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 8
Are you sure about this? It’s been a while since i ran that config but i had virtual surround through a magni amp connected to the line out. There is an option in the control panel ‘apply virtualization to: headphone/line out’.
I'm not into Creative sound cards.....but.
The older Titanium-HD could send it's CMSS-3D headphone surround sound out it's line-output (RCA) jacks.
And I believe the newer Z series no longer offered that function (to the line-output jacks).
The AE-5 uses the same SoundCore3D audio processor, as the Z series, but I really know very little about the latest Creative sound cards.
Is virtualization the same as headphone surround sound?

Sep 9, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 8
I have the AE-5 and I am running it via optical out to a DX-7S Dac and a THXAAA 789 headphone amp .The surround capabilities will pass through optical output but your bit rate is limited.

The factory headphone output and DAC is actually decent on the AE-5 but as with most things in this hobby, we tend to take it to the next level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back