proper burn in technique
Feb 23, 2012 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Samuelfreak661

New Head-Fier
hey guys!

I first started a thread ( like many people did) to know which headphones to buy and I listened to you guys and bought a ultrasone pro 900 set! I couldnt be happier right now..
Now.. I've seen a lot of people talk about "burn in" To what I understood, the speakers inside the headphones are more rigid when you buy then since they are new so you have to make them more flexible. However ... I've never seen talk about proper burn in technique ( if their is one..)!! So here's my little questions:

-do you do the "burn in" by putting on your regular music collection or use special tracks? like this kind of stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9FMkrF-7k0

-do you "burn in" at a high, medium or low volume?

-Is the "burn in" for the bass, the mid, the high or all of the previous?

-Any tips?

*also on a side note.... I can't find the 6,3mm -to- 3,5mm  adapter in my ultrasone pro 900 case. I have the straight cable(3,5mm) and the coiled one(6,3mm) only...

cheers!

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 13
I don't know if the PRO900 includes an adapter, but if it's missing anything from the standard package I'd contact the reseller or Ultrasone to source the spare parts (or just go to RadioShack and buy an adapter, if you really need it). 

As far as burn-in goes, color me a skeptic; sure I buy that it *can* happen, but I've got some qualms about leaving your headphones in a drawer blasting pink noise for 500 hours before you even try listening to them. Basically just use them as normal, and go along with it - you won't fundamentally change them with burn-in, but they may change ever so slightly through use (sometimes this isn't directly related to the drivers changing, sometimes it's as simple as breaking in the earpads or something).

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 13
I agree with the previous posters. 

Listen to the headphones and enjoy as you listen to them. 

I don't know about your specific Ultrasones, but, my hfi-780s needed lots of hours before I felt like they settled down. 
If you feel that running your headphones on pink noise might benefit then by all means go ahead and do it.

There really isn't any way to screw up burn in. 

Just remember that your headphones are meant to be listened to.

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 13
As far as I know, there are four ways to burn in headphones. Wearing down the earpads can change the sound. Playing bassy music to literally stretch the diaphragm is another option. Then there is the traditional pink noise option to evenly burn in all frequencies (I'm skeptical about this, bass probably does the same thing). You can also just play music that you enjoy at a medium volume.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
So true.

+ 2. 

I try to use a source that puts out a wide array of frequencies.  HD radio (or even regular FM) works the easiest for me--until I have some time to sit and listen to whatever strikes my fancy (usually an excellent quality CD).

I like to check the burn in progress with a decent quality CD that I know well.  My go to is usually the 2000 remaster of "Blood, Sweat & Tears".

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #9 of 13
With my 900s, I've used a combination of a burn-in app (Yes, there's an app for that...) and playing music through them at between medium to loud volume... 

Mostly, I both listened to them, and allowed them to play at night and while I'm out, giving them a break every now and then. Of course, they'll burn in faster if you allow them to play while you're not listening.

There's definitely a difference as they loosen up. They can be extremely sibilant at first, and that noticeably calms down after burn in.

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #10 of 13
Proper Burn In Process:

Put headphones on head.

Press play. 

Listen to music.

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:

There really isn't any way to screw up burn in. 

Don't drive the headphones so hard that they are overloaded, i.e. sound is distorted.

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #12 of 13
I'd say that's a valid point any time, not just for burn in. 

:)

Quote:
Don't drive the headphones so hard that they are overloaded, i.e. sound is distorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back