Proper bit setup from source to DAC
Feb 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

HeyWaj10

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I want to be sure I have my PC setup correctly to achieve the proper bit path.  Whether I'm bit perfect or not, I have no clue, but I at least want to be sure I'm not creating any interference along the way.

My setup from source to DAC goes as such:

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
Realtek High Definition Audio Output via USB (uDac 2)
-Under settings for this, my default format (when running in shared mode) has the following options:
  1. 2 channel, 16-bit, 44100Hz (CD Quality)
  2. 2 channel, 16-bit, 48000Hz (DVD Quality)
  3. 2 channel, 16-bit, 96000Hz (Studio Quality)
  4. 2 channel, 24-bit, 44100Hz (Studio Quality)
  5. 2 channel, 24-bit, 48000Hz (Studio Quality)
  6. 2 channel, 24-bit, 96000Hz (Studio Quality) - I had this one selected

J River Media Jukebox 14
- Under settings for this, under Output Format, I have the following options:
  1. Bitdepth: Source Bitdepth (selected), 8-bit, 16-bit, 24-bit, 32-bit
  2. Resample: No Resampling (selected), All Sources, Only Sources <44100 or >48000, Only Sources <44100 or >96000
  3. Sample Rate: 44100Hz (selected, but greyed due to No Resampling), 44800Hz, 88200Hz, 96000Hz, 176400Hz, 192000Hz

Music Library
  1. Most music ripped as FLAC from CD (songs all have different bit rates though, ranging from 500+ to 1000+, is this right?)
  2. Some music from HDTracks at 24/96, but information on bit rate varies between the view window on JRiver vs. the source folder...don't understand why

Do I have everything setup correctly?  If I need to change something, please let me know, and feel free to educate me more on this whole process.

Thanks!

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 5
So you select no resampling, and then force global SRC? That makes no sense.

The CDs will be 16/44.1 assuming you did it right; yes they will have different bitrates. That's the encoder doing it's job. You'd want the output set to 16/44.1 in this scenario.

With the 24/96 tracks, you'd want the output set to that, but I'm guessing it's a pain to switch back and forth so often. Oh, and there is no way that your Realtek device is outputting via USB; the uDAC is it's own audio controller and acts completely independent of the Realtek hardware.

I'd probably set the uDAC to 16/44.1 and let JMB do the SRC for the 24/96 stuff. 16/44.1 will probably also "work better" for a lot of multimedia applications outside of music playback (things like video games).

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #3 of 5
FLAC is lossless compression.
The amount of compression varies with the complexity of the signal.
By design FLAC is variable bit rate.
You will see it fluctuate during playback.
This is normal behavior.

Bit perfect.
In your setup you are using DS (Direct Sound), the Win default.
All audio is routed through the mixer. Inside the audio is converted to float, processed and converted back to integer in the bit depth supported by your audio device.
Because of this conversion to integer dither is applied.
By design this is not bit perfect.

Likewise if you set the bit depth/sample rate in the Win control panel to e.g. 16/44.1 all other formats will be resampled to this setting. This not bit perfect either.
DS doesn’t allow for automatic sample rate switching.

If you want to be bit perfect and have automatic sample rate switching you need a media player allowing you to select a driver like ASIO or WASAPI.
JRiver Media center, Foobar, MusicBee do.

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #4 of 5
So, if I have foobar2000 setup to output with WASAPI, it'll bypass whatever I have setup within Windows itself? Sort of like "WASAPI and forget it?" :wink:

And then, if I have two sound cards on a PC, the one built in to the motherboard, and one on a dedicated sound card, each with an optical out, that if I use the optical out from EITHER, they should be identical? It's my understanding using optical out essentially bypasses everything in the card itself (including DAC) and just passes the signal along (To an external DAC for example)

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #5 of 5
Clearly I'm just not getting this.  Even after installing ASIO4ALL, it doesn't show up anywhere. After installing WASAPI, it doesn't open up from being a .zip file.  I know I'm computer illiterate, but Christ this is confusing the hell out of me.

I have JRiver Media Jukebox, not Media Center.  Even in that, when I go to the Output Mode section, my only options are Direct Sound, Disk Writer, Wave Out.  I read somewhere on ComputerAudiophile that WASAPI comes as part of Windows 7.  If that's the case, then why is that not an option of JRMB?

So currently I have the Output Mode setting to Direct Sound.  Under Direct Sound settings I have selected uDAC2 and Default Channels.  Is this incorrect?

I appreciate the help...I keep trying to find a simple read on this, and all I end up with is confusion.  All I want is to be sure I'm sending bit-perfect to my uDAC2...it shouldn't be this complicated for me, but it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back