Proper amplification for 250ohm DT880?
Dec 7, 2013 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nostrom

New Head-Fier
Hi guys.

Here's the deal. I bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880's about 6 months ago and I've not used them in about 4 months. I was looking for a pair of headphones that would allow me to hear the full spectrum of my music but at the same time be able to play loud without distortion. Now I'm currently using a Fiio E17 DAC with the E9 desktop amp and I read in a few place that this would be enough to power the headphones. Thing is, the headphones are quiet at what should be a decent volume and turning them up more distorts the audio.

Now am I in fact supplying them with enough power and they're simply distorting because they're not designed for the volume I'm putting through them? Or is my amp setup the problem?

Thanks, I'd welcome any and all responses!

Dec 7, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 8
Im not sure. Never used fiio. I am soon to buy JDS labs c5 or c5d. My 250ohm dt770 beyer'sstill need some more oomph. If the c5d can't do it im done with amps and will stick to lower impedance phones.

Sent from my SM-N9005

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 8
  Here's the deal. I bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880's about 6 months ago and I've not used them in about 4 months. I was looking for a pair of headphones that would allow me to hear the full spectrum of my music but at the same time be able to play loud without distortion. Now I'm currently using a Fiio E17 DAC with the E9 desktop amp and I read in a few place that this would be enough to power the headphones. Thing is, the headphones are quiet at what should be a decent volume and turning them up more distorts the audio.

Now am I in fact supplying them with enough power and they're simply distorting because they're not designed for the volume I'm putting through them? Or is my amp setup the problem?

Beyer DT880 32-Ohm? 250-Ohm? 600-Ohm?
(the E09K should be able to drive all three models)
What sources are you plugging the E17/E09K into?
Have you tried hooking the DT880 straight to the E17 (no E09K) see how that effect sound quality.

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #4 of 8
DT880 250-Ohm version.

The E09K is hooked up to my PC via USB. It was originally linked through Line-In/Out but it was so flat I wanted the E17 to give it some bass. When I got the E17 the equalizer didn't help much but it still had its uses. I've plugged the headphones directly into the E17 before and I'm certain that it maxed out before I could get to a decent volume.

I have a pair of Sony MDR-XB700's that I use more frequently and I'm sure that going from super bassy headphones to the DT880's doesn't help.
IS IT THE BASS? Have I cranked it up too much for the headphones?

Dec 21, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #7 of 8
i'm plugged into an FiiO e9i (built for the iphone/ipod) but i've plugged in a DAC FiiO E07K Andes from the headphone jack (pumped the volume up to 30) into the back mini plug input of the FiiO e9i and adjusting the volume from the FiiO e9i and it's pretty loud - i haven't turned it up to earbleeding levels - and as an experiment i just did that and i did not hear distortion - i'm listening to lossy files - (pirates of the caribbean) - my connection is not the best of course... i'm switching to the Schiit (M+M) Stack as soon as i get it.

did you try the gain on the E17?  i gain up +6 on the e07k but at gain +12 there's too much white noise no noise when on +6.

I am also listening to the Beyerdynamic dt 880 250Ohms.

i'm not much of a audiophile techie though.... if that is the term.

Dec 21, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 8
i've heard the XB700 - not much of an audition though but they were very boomy on the bass and not much on the mid to highend.  the Beyerdynamics are flat but somewhat bright - bass is there, i think when it is warranted... or when it is in the music and not overly done.  I also own the AT ATH-M50s which is a very different listen. i enjoy the beyers more when i am at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back