Pronunciation of Aenima??
Nov 16, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #18 of 24
æ is indeed pronounced like the "a" in cat; however wikipedia's IPA notation points to the longer "ah" sound, as in father. As ænima's a made-up word, I suppose there's no one correct pronounciation

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
æ is indeed pronounced like the "a" in cat; however wikipedia's IPA notation points to the longer "ah" sound, as in father. As ænima's a made-up word, I suppose there's no one correct pronounciation

while the word may be made up, the grapheme is not, and thus must abide by predefined pronunciational norms.

tongue.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookygonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm, never giving this word much of a glance I always thought it was anemia, which is completely wrong.
Also, what's with Grado, isn't it pronounced "Gray-dough" or have U got that completely wrong as well.

The company(including John Grado himself) pronounces it "Gray-do", but as it's originally an Italian name the original pronunciation should be "Grah-do", with a bit of a roll on the r.
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #23 of 24
I wondered this same question for a couple of months after the album came out, then decided it was dumb to make up words with vague or ambiguous pronunciations/meanings and have just called it "enema" ever since. I don't really get names like that, which have no real connection, other than anecdotal, to the content of the album or the band themselves. If they're going to make up a word, and then make up the pronunciation of it, then what difference does it make how you pronounce it? Seems pretty arbitrary. Like they could have called the album "Frackle" or "Rumpulent" and it wouldn't matter.

Still a good album though.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back