Prom - the next biggest wallet sucker since Head-Fi
Feb 23, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #31 of 99
I was homeschooled, too, so I never went to THE prom, either. I don't really regret it, though. I could have gone to several proms at the other local high schools, but I thought it would have been a lame waste of money.

Yay going to Hawaii.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #32 of 99
I think the root of the problem seems to be sex and girl/boyfriends. You don't need to have sex and you don't need to have a girl/boyfriend in high school. Too many kids in my high school think that they found their true love, ect. Why does everyone think they have to have a relationship in high school to be worth somthing? Just cut the drama and keep it in you pants untill you graduate at least.

Feb 23, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #33 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firam
I think the root of the problem seems to be sex and girl/boyfriends. You don't need to have sex and you don't need to have a girl/boyfriend in high school. Too many kids in my high school think that they found their true love, ect. Why does everyone think they have to have a relationship in high school to be worth somthing? Just cut the drama and keep it in you pants untill you graduate at least.

Well said.

In all honesty, even though prom may seem overhyped, it is still somewhat of a event worthy of going to. Remember, prom is a symbol and sign of maturity and growth, not meant to get drunk and sleep with as many girls/boys as you can. Its really sad to see such a tradition go down the tubes when teens interpret the event as a good excuse to do those "things".

Plan out your prom, get everything ready, and most important of all, ask that girl as your prom date. Enjoy your time together, and cherish the beauty of youth while youre still in your golden days. Spend time with your friends and look at prom as a chance to shine onto your date, and your friends, who you truly are.

Feb 24, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #34 of 99
I'm a band geek with no life, but I'm still planning to go to my upcoming prom before graduation. I mean, regardless of who I drag along with me (this is going to be the hard part), I'll be a social outcast for the rest of my life if I don't go. It's the "social" thing to do more than anything, and while I've never subscribed to that way of thinking in my life (I've skipped every prom and dance in my entire middle and high school career until now), this is basically the one dance to rule them all, and I might as well give it a try.

In conclusion, ask that girl out. Sounds like you'll have fun.

Feb 24, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #35 of 99
Wow. A lot of prom haters here......wonder why.....

Look, you should strap on a pair, ask the girl and go to your prom. Have a great time.

What you should take from all these negative posts is that you need to have perspective. Proms were a lot more important in the 1950s and 1960s when you had a decent chance of being married or off in a war soon after the prom. Just think of it as an excuse to ask out that girl you like, dress up, and have a great time. You will not look at this as an important, cathartic moment in your life, or even among the top experiences of your life. It's a nice tradition. Don't get all worked up over it.

A corsage should cost you between $20-$30.

If your parents or a friend has a sweet convertible or sprots car or something, see if you can borrow that. A friend of mine and his girlfriend went that way and everyone who took a limo was jealous. Otherwise you'll have to take a limo or something. Try to get in a limo with lots of people to bring the cost down. Figure around $100-$125 for a limo for the night.

A prom is a LOT more fun with adult beverages.

Feb 24, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #36 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122

My first prom also gave me my first wicked-bad hangover...wow, I can still remember going to McDonalds the next afternoon with about 5 other guys all in our tuxes, and I don't think any of us finished our meals. When I got home I went straight to bed and my parents just laughed at me. I remember at the time saying something along the lines of not drinking like that again...yeah that didn't happen...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #37 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
Just think of it as an excuse to ask out that girl you like, dress up, and have a great time. You will not look at this as an important, cathartic moment in your life, or even among the top experiences of your life. It's a nice tradition. Don't get all worked up over it.

A corsage should cost you between $20-$30.

If your parents or a friend has a sweet convertible or sprots car or something, see if you can borrow that. A friend of mine and his girlfriend went that way and everyone who took a limo was jealous. Otherwise you'll have to take a limo or something. Try to get in a limo with lots of people to bring the cost down. Figure around $100-$125 for a limo for the night.

I like you. Aw, I like all you guys who replied, even the ones with bad experiences. Except... Jahn. You're giving me nightmares about what might happen to me. So no likey for you.

My dad's friend recently sold his SLP Engineering Firebird, which had the serial # 007, and the license plate 007 JB. I was planning to borrow that, which he okayed, but now it's gone.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
It was such an awesome car....

I'm going to have to try and find something interesting, else it's the limo. Hm... friend's dad has a Rolls... what are my chances?

It looks like I'm going to have to ask her Sunday, because I have a math tutorial on Friday for the logarithm and geometric sequence/series test that has to be attended instead of youth group. I hate not seeing her more often.

Feb 24, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #38 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff
It looks like I'm going to have to ask her Sunday, because I have a math tutorial on Friday for the logarithm and geometric sequence/series test that has to be attended instead of youth group. I hate not seeing her more often.

Not trying to be an ass here, but you might want to leave the part about math club out when you ask her.

Feb 24, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #39 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff

don't delay! ask her today, not sunday.

and remember, if you don't have a good time, you will cry yourself to sleep every night for the rest of your life.

Feb 24, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #40 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
Not trying to be an ass here, but you might want to leave the part about math club out when you ask her.

Math Club? MATH CLUB?! [size=medium]MATH CLUB?!?!?!?![/size] I don't like math. It's my not wanting to fail my math and not graduate that has to do with this. And obviously I'm not going to say that when I'm asking her.

Quote:

don't delay! ask her today, not sunday.

and remember, if you don't have a good time, you will cry yourself to sleep every night for the rest of your life.

It's a matter of logistics. By the time I finish the tutorial, youth group has started. By the time I get there, it's half-over. So, I can't get a ride, and I can't drive myself yet.

And your second comment...
eek.gif
eek.gif
plainface.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #43 of 99
Well here's the flip side - if you end up not going it could be worse than even my story. 1911 and I have a mutual friend who asked someone to the prom - someone from our youth group. She said no, and went with someone else to her own prom. You really can't blame her, I mean, she wanted to go to her own school's prom that was being held that same day and she already said yes to someone at her school.

So anyhow, he had waited too long to ask someone else (and honestly too long to even ask the person he asked) so he just ended up going to Youth Group that Friday. At Youth Group they had something called "lift ups" that are like "shout outs" where you give someone props, or ask folks to give them props. So my friend's younger cousin during the lift ups said "I'd like to lift up my cousin, who's here at Youth Group instead of his prom tonight, because he got dissed by XXXX(everyone knew her since she's in the Youth Group too) who's at her own prom right now."

eek.gif

The cousin meant well, since he wanted to encourage his cousin and maybe take a jab at the girl, but all it ended up doing was shamefacing my pal in front of the whole youth group. I can't say we were nice about it, because even 15 years later we tell him we'd like to "lift him up" MUAHAHAAH! What's worse, we recently met up with the girl again, and she said she didn't even remember being asked to his prom - but yes she had a lovely time at her own prom. OUCH!
eek.gif

Moral of the Story? Ask early.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #44 of 99
Hey- Yeah don't sweat it...it's become way over-hyped and out of hand anyway. Corsages aren't very expensive here in the States. I think when I went to mine a few years back they were about $10 or so but not much more than that. Try and keep your costs down so you have more money to spend on alcohol (I mean books, sorry) if/when you go to university.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back