Prom Advice
Apr 17, 2003 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

dragon939

New Head-Fier
I've been reading these boards for over 6 months now and i love my sony eggos and ipod combo. you guys are really great and are doing a great service to the community.

I ran into a problem today. My good friend who's a junior just got out of a relationship and wanted to go to prom with just a friend. so she asked me, a freshman. I said yes cuz i'd like to go but also because i want to help out a friend.

The problem is, middle school dances didn't teach me too much about slow dancing so i was wondering if you could help me out. I don't want her to just have to stand there the whole time just because i don't know how to slow dance. Any websites that teach just normal, simple slow dancing would be great or if you could give me advice thats great. Tips on dancing in general or other dances (fast) would help too.

Thanks a lot!!

Apr 17, 2003 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 25
That's all you have to do... stand there. Don't forget to waddle to make it look like you care. That's how I've seen all the people who don't know what they're doing do it. If you want to actually look like you have some sort of an idea about what you're doing, your mom would probably be very willing to show you what to do. Just make sure nobody's around when she shows you.

Apr 17, 2003 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 25
Dancing? Ah, no worries. You won't even be thinking about that.

The ONLY thing you need to remember is:

Don't let her see you slip the roofies into her drink! Otherwise you're in big trouble!

- Chris

Apr 17, 2003 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 25
Heh, i was in the same boat too, good thing i dumped her (Ebonyks hugs his etys
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Seriously, just ask your mother to help you, i'm sure she'd be willing to teach ya how to dance.

Apr 17, 2003 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Ebonyks
Seriously, just ask your mother to help you, i'm sure she'd be willing to teach ya how to dance.

... she'd probably let you grab her ass, too!

Apr 17, 2003 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 25
slow dancing... is not really dancing at all. just sort of stand there, swaying a bit from side to side... and hold her close or else she'll think there's something wrong with either you or her. you can shuffle the feet a bit if you like. just wrap your arms around the small of her back and enjoy it.

honestly, if there was a couple waltzing or doing some fancy **** at my prom, they'd probably end up getting chastized for it.

oh, and don't be grabbing ass unless you know she wants you too. and grabbing isn't going to woo anyone... it's more of a subtle touch that will send shivers down her spine. just don't go anywhere near there though if that's not the kind of relationship you want or have.

Apr 17, 2003 at 11:39 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by grancasa
... she'd probably let you grab her ass, too!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2003 at 11:42 PM Post #10 of 25
Lobstersan pretty much captured it as well as it could be in words. Just shuffle around a bit, and be comfortable. Hold her warmly in your arms, and, most importantly, enjoy it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2003 at 12:32 AM Post #11 of 25
Like ebonyks said, "Enjoy it."

I went to two proms in my senior year, mine and my girlfriend's (though we weren't "together" at the time). At mine, it was on a boat and we didn't dance at all, but we (and our group) still had a great time.

And I can't dance, either.. so I avoided dancing at all costs. It worked during my prom, as the boat wasn't big enough to accomodate 500 people trying to dance, but at my GF's prom, they had this great big hall... and I was forced to shuffle my feet around and look like an idiot.
tongue.gif
But I enjoyed it, since everyone else was probably doing the same.. and the slow dancing? It's really nothing. Just imagine a really long hug while shuffling your feet.
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2003 at 1:02 AM Post #12 of 25
I was in Europe for my senior Prom, but I went to Prom as a sophomore and junior. As I junior I set up prom, and we got a free suite in San Francisco as a part of the deal. The night was great. Don't worry about dancing, just have fun. Go somewhere interested afterwards (we went to Ocean Beach), don't get too drunk too early, and have a good time.

Apr 18, 2003 at 1:17 AM Post #13 of 25
Slow dancing is probably the easiest part of a prom, as anybody who's done it can tell you. It took me all of 3 seconds to figure it out once I got up on that stage for the first time...and I had never danced a step in my life prior to that. Didn't expect to have to either except that I was sort of forced to go to my senior prom in high school...

Anyways, if you didn't know your friend all that well before, you'll probably know her pretty well after this.
evil_smiley.gif
To begin, if you're relatively comfortable with her, or you're just the forward type of guy, wrap your arms around her till you're holding the small of her back. This will place you very close to her (I highly recommend you chew a piece of gum throughout the night...). If you're not that comfortable doing that, just place your hands around her waist...which gives you a bit of breathing room. Meanwhile, she's going to have her hands wrapped around the back of your neck most likely, or just on your shoulders. Either way, just expect yourself to end up in a rather cozy situation.
very_evil_smiley.gif

After that, just let her start the swaying. And all you really do is just sway side to side. Whichever direction she sways in, you sway in as well. And match her speed...she'll likely even warn you if you start swaying too fast, which happened to me.
tongue.gif
From there, just chill and enjoy it...there's nothing like the feel of a girl's hips swaying under your hands.
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

The only advice I can give for fast dancing is, cut yourself loose, and go with the flow. If you're normally the stiff type that doesn't look like a party animal, well this is where you'll have to get over that. People who are used to seeing you in a stiffened state may just start whooing you on in fact if they see you cutting loose.
wink.gif

My final piece of advice is to consider bringing some ear protection. Prom dances tend to blast music from loud to extremely loud, and depending on your stage size, you may just end up being a few feet away from the speakers. I found this out the painful way.

Apr 18, 2003 at 2:46 AM Post #14 of 25
If you're expected to do regular dancing too, just remember the running man, the sprinkler, the worm (for hardcore dancers only), and most importantly the loose-lips.

Apr 18, 2003 at 2:48 AM Post #15 of 25
Yeah, vert is right, get some ER-20's if you value the music, cheapy walgreens, or whatever your local pharmacy is if you just wanna block out the crap
wink.gif

http://store.yahoo.com/earplugstore/profmusearpl1.html

True, everyone will look at you like a nerd, but atleast your ears won't be ringing the next day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back