Proline750: Are they also great with tube amps?
May 8, 2008 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

worldman

100+ Head-Fier
I think upgraditis/wallet destroytis is slowly creeping up to me. I am having a fabulous time with my 750 listening through solid state amps. The sound emenating from my 750 is pure bliss.... BUT, because of my habit of lurking through headfi, I am thinking that perhaps a little tweak to tube amps may give me some other yet undiscovered happiness.

It is my understanding that the Proline 750 is a "fast" headphone with its titanium drivers (same as Edition 9), and accordingly, "fast" solid state amps should work best with them. Please tell me that this is true and that I should not bother thinking into moving to tube amps. Please......

But, if tube will not help me much, then how will I be able to manage my other urge to move towards extremely fast rudistor solid state amps..... (When will this ever end?)

May 8, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 5
I've had very good success pairing the PL750 with the Darkvoice 336i and the Bada PH-12. The Rudistor hybrid amp has always intrigued me, but I'm having such an enjoyable time with my Bada (and the 6SN7 tubes which I really like) that I cannot justify the expenditure right now. Maybe with some critical V-Cap upgrades, the Bada will be around a bit longer still! : )

May 9, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 5
I don't know if I should thank you or curse you for your answer (you know what I mean...) but still I really appreciate your reply. So, I guess going the tube way works very well also. I was also thinking about the new Rudistor 5.3 hybrid amp but there isn't any review on it yet except for their 5.1 model. Due to wallet constraints, I should perhaps initially start studying into the lower priced but good quality tube amps such as the DV and the LD, and even the Bada by stretching a little further, and if I become really confident about tube SQ, then jump to more costly products if it equates to even better music. But, is there a considerable enough difference to invest further to move from SS to tube?

May 9, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 5
I--and lots of others on these threads--think so. Tubes bring added musicality and versatility to the table, IMHO. A well-executed hybrid design should award the best of both worlds.

May 9, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 5
I have 2 Ultrasone headphones and they all work great with a tube amp, at least the one I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back