Proline 750s IN THE HOUSE: impressions
Jan 18, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #16 of 77
PL750 has slight metallic tonality in sound, which they are probaply more sensitive to. DT990 just has huge sharp spike, which I am bothered of. But yes, the bass in PL750 is complete opposite of boomy. While strong, its TIGHT. AND reaches deep too, unlike many other tight bassed headphones.

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #17 of 77
Congratulations and enjoy the PL750!

Even though I ultimately found them a bit too bass-prominent for my listening tastes, I still have fond memories of the 750.

The PL750's mids brought out vocals especially with a rawness and visceralness that made these headphones very special to me; it was almost as if I were melded with the singer's soul! I also enjoyed their soundstaging, which I found to be much wider and much more realistic than the PL2500's.

The RAL cable upgrade made the PL750 excel even further.

. . . so far, my most favorite closed headphones.

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #18 of 77
I've A PL750 since December;

And I really enjoy it. Bass precision is really impresive (I can "hear" (or feel maybe) from 9 Hz with those cans), with huge clarity and soundstage. I can't miss anything in a sound; that's really great.

@pataburd: RAL cable upgrade? Got a link? That should interest me
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #19 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPC_Skeeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've A PL750 since December;

And I really enjoy it. Bass precision is really impresive (I can "hear" (or feel maybe) from 9 Hz with those cans), with huge clarity and soundstage. I can't miss anything in a sound; that's really great.

@pataburd: RAL cable upgrade? Got a link? That should interest me
smily_headphones1.gif

IPC_S,
RAL, unfortunately, has fallen onto hard times of late. Moon Audio also markets a PL detachable re-cable, as does Cardas. I've heard very good reports about the Moon re-cable, re: Fish13.
PAB

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #20 of 77
maza, after reading ur comments, i went back to do some critical listening, and yea i noticed the very slight metallic tone. it actually helps in half the music i listen to (techno, rock) and in others i can notice the tonality of the dt990s is more pleasing.

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #21 of 77
well after 70 hours of burn-in with pink noise the harshness that i found out of the box (lower treble/upper midrange peakiness) has disappeared, much to my delight. they sound very smooth now, and balanced (aside from the bass, which is definitely higher than what would be called neutral). but that bass, it's bass that i now can't be without, it's excellent, the best i've heard actually. anything good you can think about the bass, this has it. they're still not perfect, they have a slight metallic tinge that i'm hoping will go away in 100-150 more hours of burn-in, but so far, i've been a bit surprised at how much these change with burn-in. my other cans never showed this much variance in the burn-in process.

also, a big change i noticed was that in the beginning the bass seemed really separated from the rest of the frequency spectrum, now it's much more integrated and, consequently, sounds significantly better.

comfort is also excellent. not better than the dt990s but i can have these on for hours without fatigue or discomfort/pain.

Jan 21, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #22 of 77
For me PL750 headband was uncomfortable, but I get used to it...

I have also noticed soundstage improvement (Bass (Low-Mid)) with brun-in. I'm near 200 hours of burn-in and the sound is now perfect for me (I didn't say neutral, but what is neutral? ^^)

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #23 of 77
yea that totally depends on the shape and size of your head. comfort will be a very personal thing with these. with the dt990s, i've never heard anyone complain of comfort issues though, i forget they're on my head after a while, yet they have enough of a clamp to not fall off even if i bob my head around.

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #24 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well after 70 hours of burn-in with pink noise the harshness that i found out of the box (lower treble/upper midrange peakiness) has disappeared, much to my delight. they sound very smooth now, and balanced (aside from the bass, which is definitely higher than what would be called neutral).

try turning down the volume, then it will be neutral. refer to loudness curves.

the metallic tone is about the only thing making me not go for them, since i would have liked a closed phone with good soundstage

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #25 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the metallic tone is about the only thing making me not go for them, since i would have liked a closed phone with good soundstage

The astounding thing about the 750 is that despite their many faults - sibilance, somewhat harsh treble, metallic tonality, and recessed mids, to name my main complaints - they still manage to be damn good. It always takes a little while for me to adjust to the sound signature if I'm coming from one of my other headphones because they're all much warmer than my PROlines, but once I do, they're just great. The detail they bring out is great, the bass is incredible, and although I find the soundstage to be pretty confined, the separation and positioning of all the instruments is just fantastic.

I also often find that, depending on what I'm listening to, the things I don't like about them just disappear. Some music just brings out the best of the 750, and some just brings out the worst (or vice-versa!).

Jan 22, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #26 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The detail they bring out is great, the bass is incredible, and although I find the soundstage to be pretty confined, the separation and positioning of all the instruments is just fantastic.

totally agree, the soundstage sounds confined, especially at lower volumes, but there is good instrument separation/positioning. no complaints about bass. detail retrieval is excellent. the metallic tonality is going away slowly because i can't notice it in most songs now (after 90 hours of burn-in). i'm comparing with the dt990, and yes the treble is still a bit accentuated but it's gotten smoother compared to straight out of the box. i also noticed that binaural recordings don't sound as good on the s-logic presentation as they do on conventional headphones; i'm pretty sure this is because binaural recordings take advantage of the very nature of regular headphones and the offset drivers used for s-logic only interfere with this effect.

in normal songs, however, the soundstage is brought to more to the front around head, so there is a more circular soundstage with the majority of sound coming from in front of you. although, sounds very rarely come from behind me, so there really is no "behind the head" aspect to the soundstage with these phones.

Jan 22, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #27 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try turning down the volume, then it will be neutral. refer to loudness curves.

if i do that, the volume ends up at around 60db, which is no fun to listen to
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #28 of 77
I just recently picked up both Proline 650s and a new edition Pro 750 which arrived today. Mostly looking for a closed phone to use in the project studio, so figured I'd give them a listen. Hearing the 650s convinced me enough to try the 750s. It may be infatuation, perhaps, but I really like what seems to be emerging in my ears as the Ultrasone signature sound.

The 650s were used, and I was told they hadn't quite burned in...have run them at normal volume for a couple of days now (> 90 hrs) and in these I definitely noticed some initial sludge in the bottom, and yes, I'd have to say a sort of characteristic edge of harshness in the upper mids--these appear to be tightening up in the bass some, and maybe smoothing out (reserving judgment still...). But bad as this would seem to be, I also find them incredibly compelling...great separation for mixing, good detail, and to me the S-Logic sounds more like a super detailed stereo soundstage than surround per se. You close your eyes, you can imagine the position of the pan pots on the mixing board, still quite 2D, but satisfyingly dimensional.

These phones seem to have a signature that's quite different from our favorite Senns and Beyers (Darth or otherwise...)...in some ways colored, but so engaging it's hard to take them off. They like headroom, and sound good through the Hornet. They seem to bring things to life in a very fun way, that's different (not so better or worse) from Senn 650, or Beyer 880s or 990. Less wooly but less smooth, if that means anything, than my Darths. I like them for power pop...very busy mixes come across very musically...fun, without rude overemphasis.

The 750 are here and they seem a pretty large step up, fresh out of the box. So far, after a couple of hours, they don't seem to exhibit the boomy bass I heard in the 650...very tight and detailed bass already, very pleasant, more comfortable -- I don't hate the headband though it won't win design awards. I do hear the harshy mid thing here a bit as well, but overall, this phone seems far more balanced, super detailed, engaging, easier to drive...well, I'm already quite taken even before these burn in. Hard to tell yet, but they seem to drive vocals a bit harder too...a positive. These seem to me a very immersive headphone. Really interesting, and already a joy to listen to. Glad I tried them.

Not sure I'll keep the 650s around, but the 750s are here to stay for some time, and will be my main headphone for recording and mixing. Nice.

Misc, AMcT

Jan 22, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #29 of 77
It's a good start, but the 750s really just scream for a good amp. Even a basic 200-300$ home amplifier really helps bring out even more depth in the cans. I've had good experiences with the Heed Canamp and my Arietta. The S-logic + active crossfade on the latter really make it shine.

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #30 of 77
Shahrose
How come that the proline 750 trounces the DT990...?, if you has the DT990pro (according to your signature) which is inferior to the 2005 ED, please don't generalize!
Yeah the prolines give to those headphones a circular soundstage that no one amp is capable to do for his own, but i have my XMOD equiped with my DT990 and i appreciate an 540 degree soundstage (i can hear sounds come in all the directions with movies) and with music. I only don't hear sounds (for now..) from below (or down from me) from normal made music (not binaural...) and movies, because the effect isn't simulated with the actual formats (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc).
Well, which of the two has more slam in the bass in your most honest opinion?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
man this is no contest, the dt990s have been trounced.
frown.gif

i'm hearing more detail, more circular soundstage, tighter deeper and a bit more textured bass, smoother highs, more prominent midrange, almost the same comfort (for me)...what's left...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back