Proline 650? Any comments before I pull the trigger...
May 11, 2006 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Fortune

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I think I'm gonna get the Ultrasone Proline 650, I just can't find another closed can that really looks too exciting...

I want comfort, isolation, and a FUN listening experience. Not too bright but with good separation and clear highs. And good, clean impactful bass.

I've been having a real problem finding closed phones that fit these criteria.

The K81 are an option but I don't want my ears to hurt. Maybe the Beyer 250's? This is damn confusing
confused.gif

May 11, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 15
Just for the record the bottom two of those pictures aren't being sold anymore.

The W5000 (top pic) does sound VERY good, but it's not exactly the best seal in terms of closed headphones. And it costs three times that of the Proline 650.

In my opinion you should order the Proline 650 from a place that offers a trial period (Headroom is the only one I can think of at the moment) and give it a try. Of course I think that the Proline series use titanium drivers so burn in is a bit of a must.

EDIT: I may not be the biggest fan of the Ultrasone headphones, but I did try them at the meet and they are quite comfy...

May 11, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naris
Just for the record the bottom two of those pictures aren't being sold anymore.

The W5000 (top pic) does sound VERY good, but it's not exactly the best seal in terms of closed headphones. And it costs three times that of the Proline 650.

In my opinion you should order the Proline 650 from a place that offers a trial period (Headroom is the only one I can think of at the moment) and give it a try. Of course I think that the Proline series use titanium drivers so burn in is a bit of a must.

EDIT: I may not be the biggest fan of the Ultrasone headphones, but I did try them at the meet and they are quite comfy...

Maybe my post wasn't very helpful at all taking in account the price of those cans. But one of the cans I pictured, are actually an option: The ATH-A900 (blue, second from top to bottom) are still in production and they cost $189, so those may be an option as are the AKG K 271 S and the Beyer DT 770. The Prolines, of course cost $300. Logic tells me they should sound twice as good as the avoid mentioned; The Head-Fi instinct of diminishing returns tells me they won't, especially considering that their top of the line, $3000 headphones had proven to be poor performers, but who knows? I suggest ordering from a place like HeadRoom or TTVJ since you can return them if you don't like them.

Good Luck.

May 11, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 15
Thank you both for the replies.

I live in the West Indies so returning isn't really an option unfortunately. After VAT tax, shipping, long and I mean long time for them to get from the dock to me, it isn't worth returning.

I thought about the AT's but I really need something than can take a lickin' and keep on ticking. If the current AT's are anything like the W700's (I think that's the model) that I had 5 years back, they won't last in my backpack very long.

I want comfort, sound and some level of toughness. Is that too much to ask? I sure hope not.

May 11, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #6 of 15
May 11, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 15
The Ultrasones are not tough.

The handband cracks just from normal and easy use. The cups attachements are easily broken from what I saw with my pair of HFi-550, though mine never broke but mine never left my desk either.

I highly recommend you go with something like the DT770 instead.

May 11, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fortune
Hello,

I think I'm gonna get the Ultrasone Proline 650, I just can't find another closed can that really looks too exciting...

I want comfort, isolation, and a FUN listening experience. Not too bright but with good separation and clear highs. And good, clean impactful bass.

I've been having a real problem finding closed phones that fit these criteria.

The K81 are an option but I don't want my ears to hurt. Maybe the Beyer 250's? This is damn confusing
confused.gif

My HFI-650's definitely give me comfort, isolation and fun. They're definitely not bright, but the highs aren't exactly clear either (I have the k501 for that
biggrin.gif
). The bass is impactful to be sure, and though it's not quite AKG status, it's not too flabby either. If I had to describe them in one word, I'd use "fun." But I don't know anything about the PROline. Could be different, but it should be better, shouldn't it?

Ultrasone makes great closed 'phones IMO - they're just overpriced.

May 11, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovesocks
My HFI-650's definitely give me comfort, isolation and fun. They're definitely not bright, but the highs aren't exactly clear either (I have the k501 for that
biggrin.gif
). The bass is impactful to be sure, and though it's not quite AKG status, it's not too flabby either. If I had to describe them in one word, I'd use "fun." But I don't know anything about the PROline. Could be different, but it should be better, shouldn't it?

Ultrasone makes great closed 'phones IMO - they're just overpriced.

Yeah, I may have come off as bashing Ultrasone but that's not the case. My HFi-550 provided great amounts of joy for me. They had great bass impact and nearly crystal clear highs. My ears are huge, so I had an issue with pad size but other than that it was a great headphone for desk use.

May 11, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #10 of 15
Is there any chance the 770's or K271's will work straight from an X5?

I read a post saying the beyer 250/250's worked better out of a portable than the 250/80's. It didn't make any sense to me at the time and still doesn't now.

My problem is this: I have to order from headroom because I don't know any other vendor that will ship to me down here. And they only carry the 770/250.

I considered the 770 but decided against them because the 80 ohm version is not offered by headroom. I have supermacro V3 but it's packed up in storage and I can't get it here, so for the time being I have to go unamped.

May 11, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrying
The Ultrasones are not tough.

The handband cracks just from normal and easy use. The cups attachements are easily broken from what I saw with my pair of HFi-550, though mine never broke but mine never left my desk either.

I highly recommend you go with something like the DT770 instead.

I agree... beyers are much much much more durrable

Jun 12, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #13 of 15
But beyers are much much much (imo) less interesting in terms of sound image. Isolation on Ultrasone is very good. Since I've heard my dad's hfi-650, I could nolonger listen to my dt990, even amped. Now I'm looking for a Proline 650, but I try to sell my dt990 first. Then I'll immediatly order one from Jan Meier.

Jul 1, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #14 of 15
Hey all, I decided to get the prolines and I've been REAL happy with them....

I've had them for about a month or so now and I use them everyday.

I study with them at school and they're absolutely wonderful.

The sound is great and they are real comfortable.
580smile.gif

I use them out of X5 and rarely turn the volume above 14.

Jul 19, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fortune
Hey all, I decided to get the prolines and I've been REAL happy with them....

I've had them for about a month or so now and I use them everyday.

I study with them at school and they're absolutely wonderful.

The sound is great and they are real comfortable.
580smile.gif

I use them out of X5 and rarely turn the volume above 14.

I tried them out (PROline 650's not the HFI's) at a local store, they were the last of the Ultrasones they had there as they did not sell well. Well when I listened to them they sounded very nice with tight bass with almost the perfect amount of bass, clean accurate mids.

the only thing I dindnt like was that the isolation wasnt very good, and they were very loose on my head even at the smalest setting, but then again I may just have a small head. I dont think the isolation problem was due to the lack of fit as i could hear my friend talk to me when music was playing with my hands pushing the cups on my ears.

so im glad to hear that they fit you very comfortably as i liked the sound they produced (reproduced w/e). plus they look cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back