Prokofiev recommendations (a la HAARP intro)?
Nov 17, 2008 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jonathanjong

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I was listening to Muse's H.A.A.R.P. (Live in Wembley) album last night and discovered that the Intro was a Prokofiev piece. I really liked it and was wondering if anyone could suggest similar music. Or where I should begin discovered Prokofiev. Thanks!

Nov 17, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 5
Check out his Cello Concerto with Ha Na Chang and Pappano performing. Also, check out Shostakovich's 1st violin concerto and 1st cello concerto. Finally, the first movement of Mahler's 2nd symphony is a must. Check the link in my sig for links to specific outstanding recordings of each of these (plus lots more).

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 5
I don't know what Prokofieff piece you heard, but most of his music is quite enjoyable. Prokofieff must listens:

1) Romeo and Juliet. The whole shebang is breathtaking. Get Maazel on Decca or Previn on EMI.
2) Symphonies 1, 5, 6.
3) Lt. Kije - Szell/Cleveland

If you like it, there's more Prokofieff than you can imagine.

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 5
I saw the Previn (conducting London, I think) at the second hand the other day. Will grab that. I'll try hunt down that cello concerto too.

Some people here have recommended Shostakovich's 5th, I think. Any ideas which recording to get? I can't eBay, so it'll have to be an easily obtainable one. And I don't see much (read: any) Shostakovich in the used sections, so I'll have to Amazon it prolly.

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #5 of 5
Good God, Romeo and Juliet is good. I wonder if watching the ballet will enhance or detract from my enjoyment... It can go both ways, I guess. Either the visual aids will help me appreciate the music more, or the (perceived) silliness of the prancing dancers will distract me. Nothing inherently wrong with men in tights, of course, but I don't thing it's my thing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back