Prokofieff Lieutenant Kije
Oct 6, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #2 of 10
CJVC24026.jpg

PROKOFIEV - LIEUTENANT KIJE - REINER - CHICAGO SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA (XRCD24)

One of Reiner's masterpieces in true Living Stereo.

Oct 6, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 10
Szell is a great one.

See ya
Steve

Oct 7, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 10
Kije has not lacked for great recorded versions. Reiner certainly is fine - get the one coupled with Alexander Nevsky. There's a fine old version with the best-ever Peter and the Wolf (Boris Karloff) soon to be re-released on Vanguard. The Ormandy coupled with his classic Classical Symphony is great. But sadly, what I think is the best Kije, also coupled with the best Hary Janos of Kodaly is the Szell/Cleveland version which is unforgivably out of print right now.

Oct 7, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #7 of 10
Wow the Karloff Peter and the Wolf outstanding!!! I have the Sterling Holloway version and the Leonard Bernstein version and one on Deutche Grammophon with Hermione Gingold. But Karloff must be the best one. Please let us know if you see it in stores.
eek.gif
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #8 of 10
It's due to be released in the next week or so. Not for the first time, but it's been away for quite some time. With Karloff you feel like a beloved, nice uncle is reading to you -- one who can also scare the wits out of you.

Oct 7, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #9 of 10
The Sony Essential Classics disc with Pictures at an Exhibition, Hary Janos Suite, and Lieutenant Kijé all performed by the Cleveland Orchestra with Szell conducting. I don't remember the recording quality; I believe it was neither poor nor exceptional. If this is indeed out of print, I'm sure it won't be too difficult to acquire; I bought a new one at Borders little over a year ago (replacing the very same disc which had inexplacably disappeared from its case).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back