Project: Silent PC (Storage and Bit Perfect Output)
Jul 29, 2006 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

alex_cs

100+ Head-Fier
Ok dudes, the time has come and i have no idea where to start, and was tihnking perhaps some of you have done this already. Most of the info out there is a little confusing for someone jumping striaght into it, ive been using noisy graphics based computer for years and want to build a neat music server.

My goal is to create a PC thats sole function is for music storage:

-to store at least 1TB of data
-output bit perfect coax and optical
-be basically silent
-have jsut enough processing power and memory to decode flac/mp3 etc, run foobar/winamp properly and without skips and delays.
-wired and wireless ethernet for future

So I have some basic ideas. Prior to this, I will say I can handle HDD noise as long as its not extreme. the main things i need to be silent are the CPU and the case.

-Firstly, I thought an ESI Juli@ card for the output.

-A small 20-40gig HDD system HDD.

-A couple of Serial 7200rpm 500GB WD HDD's, or even 4 of them in mirror raid (I think thats RAID 1)

-The case can be up to fullsize tower, probably best for up to 5 HDD's.

-The mobo will need to have at least 2 PCI slots, RAID 0/1 SATA, onboard graphics, 1 IDE for CDROM.

From here I need recommendations:

- A silent PSU that is solid

- A mobo/cpu/heatsink combo that doesnt need much cooling, remember this is just for music storage/decoding.

- A case that muffles much of the internal noise.

- A quiet/silent CDROM known to be good for ripping.

- If possible, and if necessary, silent internal fans to extract heat form the case.

Any other suggestions in regard to ways this project can be done would be great. Keep the above three things to semi regular computer components, nothing insane and no water cooling at this stage.

Thanks guys, Ive been looking high and low and think some of you are probably well versed here.

Jul 29, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 51
Have you considered the Squeezebox from Slimdevices? Use any computer box you want - but in a remote room. No noise, just music.
biggrin.gif

You would need a DAC (which I think you have) for best sound and a linear power supply to replace the external switcher that comes from the factory. If you have a wireless LAN running, then you'll be up an running in no time.

Jul 29, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 51
For a case, I'd recommend the Antec Sonata II. It's almost completely silent, and the company Acousi Products makes pre-cut sound-proofing foam specifically for that case. Although it would trap heat, the Sonata is pretty well designed for good airflow and with nothing much other than Winamp running, it shouldn't generate much heat.

Jul 29, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #5 of 51
ok wiht the squeezebox, how is the music transmitted. just data straight to the SB. from here if you use an external DAC, dont you negate the advantage of the internal DAC that is, no need for IC's?

Jul 29, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #6 of 51
Im never a SB fan simply because of the very small screen (lose alot of convenience when jumping from one song to another unless you set up your playlist before hand). It also doesnt support ape and i dont feel like converting them.

I was also looking to build a htpc that is quiet. Originally, i looked at lynx l22 so i can slave it to a dac but ive received news from the dac company that someone had already done this. While sound quality was very good, it still cant match the "dac slaved to the cdp" and doesnt hold a candle to "cdp slaved to the dac".

This seems not logical, since PCs should have less jitter. But what they have found out is that PCs, with their harsh environments (even though lynx claims to have the best noise rejecting technology) and their non dedicated power supply for the sound card, simply cannot match a CDP as transport.

Now, I am looking at the RME fireface 400. IT doesnt have the problems of USB (pops and clicks), you isolate it from your PC and i believe you should be able to make a DIY battery for it so it runs on clean battery. Im still researching into this option.

Of course, I can be very wrong in my prediction since im a noob, I hope experts out there can point out the mistakes in my theory.

Jul 30, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex_cs
ok wiht the squeezebox, how is the music transmitted. just data straight to the SB. from here if you use an external DAC, dont you negate the advantage of the internal DAC that is, no need for IC's?

The SB is just used to receive the digital data and format it to SPDIF. The internal DAC is not great, but acceptable. The switching power supply is marginal. I suggest a linear supply and an external DAC. The DAC will only add one digital cable. You would need a pair of ICs in both configurations.
There are mods for the SB series at a hefty price. Personally I think you'd do better with an external DAC.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig
Im never a SB fan simply because of the very small screen

Have you seen the screen of the new SB3? Much larger than the previous versions - and very acceptable!
There is another advantage to an SB setup. The server can stream several tunes at the same time, so you can listen to your avant-garde music
biggrin.gif
through one receiver unit on your main system and your wife may listen to her country music
evil_smiley.gif
on a second receiver unit in the kitchen...
Give the kids their own receivers and they can rap all day long in their rooms. And... the server can be picked up on MP3-capable cellphones.
You just can't beat that versatility!
The funny thing is that it actually sounds great on the main system and would easily compete with expensive transports! Did I mention that you can stream Internet Radio too?
k1000smile.gif

Jul 30, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #9 of 51
Is there a reason you don't want to have a server elsewhere in your home to hold all of the data (and which can be noisy), and just use a minimal computer in your listening area? For me, the hard drives are the most problematic: unlike fans, their noise isn't constant and therefore easy to ignore. My solution is a long firewire cable to external drives that are in a closet ... but when I can afford it, those drives will move further away to NAS or a server PC.

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #10 of 51
I second that you go to www.silentpcreview.com since i just finished making my computer silent i will offer a few tips. Get a case with 120mm fans spots and make sure you get nexus or yateloon fans with a controller also if you want pure silence via makes several completely passive systems. Second you need a very big case for 5 hd since cooling them with low fan speeds can be a big pain. Third the new western digital 500gigs are suburb for low noise i just purchased one. Also make sure to suspend your harddrives and that almost completely removes all hd noise. Lastly good luck since the serch for silent computing is almost as hard to accomplish as headphone nirvana although it is alot cheaper.

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #11 of 51
Creating a silent PC is quite simple if you start right:
- Asus N4L-VM DH or MSI 945GT Speedster-A4R (don't like MSI's MB quality, but this one has nice features)
- Intel T2300E or T5500 (available in august)
- Silverstone ST30NF or Elan Vital power supply (http://www.elvt.de/web/m_350.htm)

With this basis, virtually any case can be silent. You're only using 31W for the CPU, and most of the time far less. Use WD5000YS as you put the drives in a RAID configuration: WD uses less power, and thus produces less heat.

Note: don't use the rear fan connector of the N4L-VM DH.

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #12 of 51
Who makes a good external drive? I'm looking at a 1TB from Maxtor and the 500gigs from Seagate and Western Digital.

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #13 of 51
Thanks for the replies.

Im in the situation where i only have one room to put things in at the moment, so space is limited.

If i can make a silent pc just for music and web browsing, that is all i need these days.

Leon will 4-5 hdds with the stuff you mention create too much heat in a full or midi tower? will i need exhaust fans, and if so are there any silent ones getting around?

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #14 of 51
yes 4 or 5 hd will need an exhaust fan but if you use a 12cm fan such as a Nexus real silent case fan or a low speed Yateloon with a controller the noise will be very limited. I have 4 fans in my system and 2 harddrives and can hear none of them over my psu which has one low noise 12cm fan inside. So you might consider what your background noise will be if you have an airconidtioner or another loud computer in the room then you don't neccesarly need to make yours silent just less loud than your noise floor.

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:57 AM Post #15 of 51
i wont have anything else running in the room when i want silent listening, my room can be very quiet with the windows shut and nothing else on.

the 500gig WD you got, was it the raid version or normal? is there much difference between the two in terms of perf and quiet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back