Project RS1 Headset: Help Needed
Jul 21, 2009 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Phyltre

New Head-Fier
It is my ongoing quest to turn my RS1 headphones into the highest-quality computer headset possible via the addition of a microphone. I basically just want a microphone on a boom, no earpiece, since the Grados already have audio obviously. I'm tired of cheap computer microphones, even gaming ones, so I'm moving up to something a little more professional from my Razer Carcharias...okay, fine, maybe what I want is a little excessive for my application.

Good stand-alone noise-cancelling microphones without headsets turned out to be harder to find than I thought. I eventually came upon this, the Cobra from theBoom. I hope to use this. Previously I was auditioning a Shure SM10A with a Shure X2u XLR-to-USB adapter, but this microphone does not do any noise canceling and that will be important as well.

Except now, I have lots of questions about how to get this thing to work for my application. Going to the Product Purchase page, I see an option for Plug-in or Rotating connection. Are these likely both XLR connections? Also I'm wondering which mic type would be better for a computer headset-type setup--dynamic or Electret, and which impedance? My Shure X2u can do 48V phantom power if necessary. (Yes, I have asked the company these questions, but they seem geared towards using this mic in racing conditions and we're clearly talking from two different planets, my questions and their answers never line up.)

Of course, past that one must be concerned with who out there sells boom arms for microphones to get attached to headphones. Anyone know of anyone? Clearly I am in a market all my own here, and it's taking me months (in my extremely scant spare time, of course) to find the right parts for the job. Not even sure what that arm is going to connect to on the RS1, but I need an arm before I can go testing connecting it. I have taken the liberty of turning every product name in this post into a link the first time to make this easier to follow, and the questions are in bold. Your help much needed. If it's any motivation, I promise to post pics when this thing finally gets put together.
beyersmile.png

Jul 21, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 6
Get this... NCIX.com - Buy Zalman ZM-MIC 1 Microphone - ZM-MIC1 In Canada.

If you're not in canada, search for the one in he US. Simple 3.5mm mic plug

As for the RS-1.. it doesn't have a great soundstage (has very little of it in fact, which works so great for its sound but not for everything) so its not going to be great for any 3D surround technology like CMSS3D or Dolby Headphone

Jul 21, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you doing gaming with RS1?

Gaming won't be the primary use, I'm not sure what led you to believe it's going to be a gaming headset. That's not what this build is for.

Jul 21, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 6
The boom arm is most likely going to be something you construct yourself. You can probably make a clamp with a pivot attached to it that you can clamp to one side of the headband. Then have a bent rod attach to the pivot.

As for your mic questions I do not know. I will say I was looking for a mic myself to pair with my headphones and ended up using the Zalman that was mentioned. It works well for VOIP applications, and voice recognition. I would not use it for music recording, but then again you would not use a headset for that either.

FYI - if you do not like the lapel part of the Zalman you could easily attach it to whatever boom you come up with
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back