Project: M³ home studio speaker amp (now finished!! pics at page 10)
Jan 25, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #91 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaypee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think it's safe to test the PSUs (meaning inital check) without heatsinking the MOSFET's?

Deep inside, I think you already know the answer to that question
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #94 of 153
Well, IT'S ALIVE!!
...or at least the PSU's are.. turned on the power and the led goes on (and I do mean ON, christ, that thing almost blinded me!! might haveto swich to a more subtle one...)

I started running voltage checks, and I was hoping for 36VDC, but instead the other board gives me 34,1VDC and the other 33,7VDC ...?

I'm using 30VAC 100VA transformers, the BZX55C12 for D5 and 4,99kohm resistor for R10 so what's wrong?

the only difference between the two boards is that other one doesn't have LED or R16, which shouldn't affect much..

hints anyone?

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #95 of 153
Quote:

Well, IT'S ALIVE!!
...or at least the PSU's are..

Good to hear
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

turned on the power and the led goes on (and I do mean ON, christ, that thing almost blinded me!! might haveto swich to a more subtle one...)

What size resistor do you have at R16? In my experience you shouldn't go lower than the default of 10k, and even higher is still probably OK.

Quote:

I'm using 30VAC 100VA transformers, the BZX55C12 for D5 and 4,99kohm resistor for R10 so what's wrong?

There can be reasonable variation between zeners, so don't fret the difference between boards. As for the lower voltage...... how sure are you that your multimeter is accurate?
wink.gif

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with the difference. My S11 is half a volt lower than it is 'supposed' to be.

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #98 of 153
Quote:

Voltages across D5: 11,2V and 11,3V

11.2 * 3 = 33.6
11.3 * 3 = 33.9

Pretty damn close, so you just got low value zeners.

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #100 of 153
okay, so no biggie? phew..

I'll post pics as soon as I get the final wiring done. The amp is also almost done, and I might be able to fire it up tomorrow.

And I'll swich the value of R16 'til I find a suitable lighting.

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #101 of 153
Yep, it's no biggie. Low noise, good line and load regulation, low impedance, speed/bandwidth and other factors are important for an audio amp power supply, but absolute voltage accuracy isn't.

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #102 of 153
Quick initial setup question:
does my setup (unbalanced inputs - balanced outputs without ground channel) affect my inital setup values? Cause I'm really alarmed right now..

tested for shorts - all clear. inserted opampr and put on power = no smoke or anything and the led goes on as planned.
start measuring - setting up the voltage over R5R to 0,45V with BIASOPR.
THEN:
Measured voltage between IG and OR and do I get under 100mV? No, ! get 10,2V ???
and measured across R9R I get 0,8mV?
need urgent help

EDIT: also pin 7 to IG and pin 4 to IG are cleared.

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #103 of 153
Quote:

does my setup (unbalanced inputs - balanced outputs without ground channel) affect my inital setup values?

No.

Quote:

Measured voltage between IG and OR and do I get under 100mV? No, ! get 10,2V ???
and measured across R9R I get 0,8mV?

Make sure the correct MOSFETs are installed in all positions -- Q1+ should be IRFZ24N while Q1- should be IRF9Z34N.
Check solder joints.
Check virtual ground split.

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #104 of 153
MOSFET's -Check
Solder joints - check (with eyesight)
How do I check virtual ground? The correct component is there if that's what you mean?

Installed OPAMPL and OR-IG is now about 4,5mV, but across R9R+ there's nothing..

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #105 of 153
Quote:

How do I check virtual ground? The correct component is there if that's what you mean?

Last part of M³ Initial setup step 4.

Quote:

Installed OPAMPL and OR-IG is now about 4,5mV, but across R9R+ there's nothing..

It would be nothing until you turn the BIAS trimpot clockwise for a number of turns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back