Project Idea - Tape Adaptor
Nov 23, 2004 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tkerby

Head-Fier
I know this is a little off topic for a headphone forum, but it covers the only place I cant use headphones - in my car.

I'm sure lots of people have used these adaptors - they consist of a tape shaped device that has a cable out to your iPod / cd player / etc and a record head that links with the playback head in your car stereo.

My complaint is the quality, these devices are full of RC filters, bass boost switches and cheap record heads. They also have a tendency to clip considerably. Surely we could design something better.

Ideas follow:
- Common brand needed to mod, especially if a pcb is required as the plastics would otherwise be pricey
- Choice of record head
- Decide on levels required to drive record head and avoid magnetic crosstalk and clipping on common playback heads
- Choose some amplification and drive circuitry if required
- Decide on wiring into the device - short length og cable and decent socket probably
- Shield the case to avoid hum

Any takers? I'd be interested in some collaboration on this one...

Nov 23, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 6
Check your local laws, it's illegal to wear headphones while operating a motoro vehicle in many jursdictions. Also, why not simply bypass the car and ply into the iPod itself?

Edit: I just reread your post. Sorry, that's what I get for not looking carefully.

Nov 23, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 6
just saw a digital fm transmitter that plugs in a cigarette plug.
Give it stereo audio and it comes out the car radio. Way better
than anything that sticks into a casette player.

Nov 23, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
just saw a digital fm transmitter that plugs in a cigarette plug.
Give it stereo audio and it comes out the car radio. Way better
than anything that sticks into a casette player.

Yep. These are commonly called FM modulators.
A quick search on google gives you lots of choices.
Here is a quick link I found near the top.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mrf3WJT...p.asp?g=178350

Nov 23, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #5 of 6
You have an iPod? Why not just attach an iTrip to it?

Lovely little FM transmitter several of my friends use. Only problem is it reduces iPod battery life to about 5 hours.

Nov 24, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 6
I haven't had any luck with an FM transmitter because there's too many radio stations around here. I can find a free frequency once, but as soon as I'm a few miles down the road it's not free anymore. From what I read, the best method is to tap into the antenna wire with a wired FM modulator. But since I have a Sony tape adapter thingy that works well enough that I haven't bothered to check into anything further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back